Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Opinion Question: Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate Insert  (Read 1347 times)

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
Opinion Question: Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate Insert
« on: June 10, 2020, 05:17:32 AM »
Straight up opinion question:  Will the Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate Insert (for the Gourmet Grate system) stand up to the temps from the medium Vortex with the 12" side up?  Inverted, it seems to me the Vortex should be concentrating less heat due to the 12" surface of burning coals.

Straight questions: 
1. Does anybody like the Weber Cast Iron insert?
2. Has anybody had issues with the size of the diamond pattern on the Weber Insert?
3. If not this, then what else.  My objective is uncovered direct high searing (looking for charring).  Looking for something very close to "cave man" type cooks.
4. Has anybody tried the Vortex Grate supplied by the Vortex company.  SS and tabbed to sit directly on the Vortex.

Thanks in advance for your opinion and you assistance.  I am acquiring gadgets at an alarming rate, but, I have read that this is a known hazard for new Kettle owners.

v/r rch
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:30:00 AM by RHOUSER »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Opinion Question: Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate Insert
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »
I have one and use it all the time to sear directly centered over two full charcoal baskets.  Two baskets are about the same circumference as the insert. So it's not Vortex, but gets blazing hot.  I've had no problems at all using it that way.

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:08:42 AM »
blksabbath, does the porcelain hold up?  Are you using lump or briquettes (imoh heat is significantly higher with lump).  I don't want the "pop" a $50 dollar grate. 

Vortex sells a 12" stainless steel grate that goes right on top of an inverted Vortex.  It isn't cast iron, but, they rate it for their Vortex.  It also doesn't end up level with rest of the Weber "ring".

Has anyone used the center of their Gourmet grill over and inverted Vortex full of coals for searing?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

v/r
rch

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:13:42 AM »
Personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of the sear grates.  They sear a nice pattern but the rest of the meat doesn't have enough time to brown and so there's a lot of wasted space for what otherwise would have been maillard.   

I use GrillGrates on my gasser and they're nice, but it's the same deal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 05:53:26 AM »
Since this is a “straight up opinion question”, I think the GBS is kind of gimmicky and wholly unnecessary.  And yes, I think the Weber searing insert will hold up to those vortex temps.  I wasn’t aware they are $50 and that would make me pause and rethink just getting a whole set of porcelain-enameled grates from Craycorts.

We went through a caveman steak phase in our house and some preferred less char on their steak. My solution was to lay a section of the Craycorts directly on top of the lump for their “caveboy” steaks.  And BTW, 20% off Craycorts for Father’s Day using code: grateforfathers. 

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 06:23:10 AM »
blksabbath, does the porcelain hold up?  Are you using lump or briquettes (imoh heat is significantly higher with lump).  I don't want the "pop" a $50 dollar grate.

The porcelain seems to hold up.  I've had mine for at least 3 years and no problems.  I mainly use briquettes, but have used lump and didn't notice anything different.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
Not a fan of porcelain coated grates.
Temps that high will cook the seasoning from regular CI.
I had no idea that there was a stainless grate made to fit the GBS.
If so...That's the way to go.

In my opinion.