Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new VORTEX on my new Performer Deluxe: A tale of form fit and function  (Read 1438 times)

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
I put a new vortex into the center of a new 22" copper performer deluxe with the center ring removed.  I filled the Vortex with Kingsford original.  I lit it with the "on board" gas system and let the briquettes burn till completely lit.  I put a ring of Sam's Club Party Wings (maybe 25 wing sections) around the outside.  I dropped the top on and set my timer for 25 minutes and left the grill alone.  I did not turn the wings, I did not spin the lid, I did not "peek" to see if they were cooking.  At exactly 25 minutes, I opened the lid, checked the wing temps (200 - 205 degrees), removed and plated the wings, replaced the lid, closed the top and bottom vents and walked away.  Dinner served.  Really Good Wings.  About perfect.

This is a freaking miracle.  I have been cooking over fire for 60 years.  On occasion I have run into things that were just a perfect blend of form, fit, and function.  This combination of the Weber 22", the removable center on the gourmet grill grate, the "instant lite" gas system, and the Vortex is perfect.  Great wings, reproducible technique. 

Now I have to see what happens with the other chicken parts.  I want a standard timing for legs, thighs, and quarters.

thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r rch
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:15:10 AM by RHOUSER »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
that is what i'm talking about, having fun while cooking and getting good food !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Not just a wing machine. Not at all. Limited only by your imagination.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger

Not just a wing machine. Not at all. Limited only by your imagination.

Indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
not sure why my vortex does not hit over 600....fill it up with lump coal....infact spill over lump coal...wings around the outskirt--45 mins later, wings are good but not crispy good--crunchy? i put them directly in ring last 4 mins...but still not hot enough

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
I have a picture of the Dome temp but, can't get it from my phone to this forum.  I loaded the weberkettle app but it says the "upload photo" feature has been disabled by the site (here).

My dome temp was 580 degrees with no effort at all.  The skins were very good (slight char and crisp).

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
I can now post photos (I think).  This was the Dome Temp for the Vortex wing cook.  Not so important, but, shows I can post pics

v/r rch

Darko

• WKC Performer
I put a new vortex into the center of a new 22" copper performer deluxe with the center ring removed.  I filled the Vortex with Kingsford original.  I lit it with the "on board" gas system and let the briquettes burn till completely lit.  I put a ring of Sam's Club Party Wings (maybe 25 wing sections) around the outside.  I dropped the top on and set my timer for 25 minutes and left the grill alone.  I did not turn the wings, I did not spin the lid, I did not "peek" to see if they were cooking.  At exactly 25 minutes, I opened the lid, checked the wing temps (200 - 205 degrees), removed and plated the wings, replaced the lid, closed the top and bottom vents and walked away.  Dinner served.  Really Good Wings.  About perfect.

This is a freaking miracle.  I have been cooking over fire for 60 years.  On occasion I have run into things that were just a perfect blend of form, fit, and function.  This combination of the Weber 22", the removable center on the gourmet grill grate, the "instant lite" gas system, and the Vortex is perfect.  Great wings, reproducible technique. 

Now I have to see what happens with the other chicken parts.  I want a standard timing for legs, thighs, and quarters.

thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r rch
A standard timing is not always going to work. Air temperature, wind, fuel type... will always have some effect on cooking time.

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
Darko, I agree with you completely.  I was caught up in the moment with a new gadget that appears to work.

v/r rch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
I usually dial back the lid temp to 450...Maybe 500...Makes the best wings in my opinion.