Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 60’s smokey joe  (Read 1260 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
60’s smokey joe
« on: June 06, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
Hi everyone.
Came across a 60’s Brown smokey joe. Inside black and white speckled.
Any chance any one has the legs and hardware or recommends what I could use to try and restore.
Also the charcoal grate is missing. Is it the same size as Current smokey joes???
Thanks any help Will help

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:19:10 PM by Speedster »
Webers rule

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: 60’s smokey joe
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
I believe the grates are the same size, but will double check for you if nobody else knows off the top of their head.

Probably your easiest solution is to find a cheap donor black with the legs just before SJs got ash pans.  At least some offset handles were made with such legs.  The style of legs I am referring to are on this black speckled offset handle pictured below.
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
There is another style of leg it could be. Similar to this listing. If you think it is this type it might be easier to make them than find them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174297974425

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
There were some SJ's that came with wooden legs. (Obviously they were prone to damage from heat). Going from memory, I can only remember seeing brown grills having wooden legs, so there is certainly a chance that's what happened to yours.  The nice thing about this is that you can make a set of legs for your SJ that would be considered correct.

Here is a bit more info.  I hope this helps.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=33406.msg333180#msg333180
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:27:40 PM »
If you want to do the wooden legs, I have one (see my avatar) like that & could take some measurements.
regards,
Hal

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »

If you want to do the wooden legs, I have one (see my avatar) like that & could take some measurements.
Wow that’s awesome this should be the same joe I have.
Yes if you are able to take measurements, length -width and maybe take a leg apart to see the threaded end. I’d appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Webers rule