Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Wings  (Read 1992 times)

Steamroller

• Happy Cooker
Vortex Wings
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »
My wife came home with some garlic wings from Costco. Nice surprise.  Fired up the vortex and they came out great. Never had them from Costco, but they were good sized wings and the garlic seasoning was great.  I would try them again for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Vortex Wings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
Nice first post!  Costco has never led me astray.[emoji106]

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 04:49:34 AM »
not sure why my vortex does not hit over 600....fill it up with lump coal....infact spill over lump coal...wings around the outskirt--45 mins later, wings are good but not crispy good--crunchy? i put them directly in ring last 4 mins...but still not hot enough

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex Wings
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:47 AM »
not sure why my vortex does not hit over 600....fill it up with lump coal....infact spill over lump coal...wings around the outskirt--45 mins later, wings are good but not crispy good--crunchy? i put them directly in ring last 4 mins...but still not hot enough

You wont get a sustained temp above 550 in a 22 no matter the type of charcoal or charcoal holding device unless you increase airflow by cracking the lid imo.

However, 550+ is plenty of heat for crispness in my experience.

It also depends if you are using sauce. A sauced wing is never as crispy as a dry rub wing. I like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:39:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

Steamroller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
I've gotten mine over 600.  It was actually over 600 for this cook before I put the wings on. This was using the Kingsford competition briquettes. I lose hair on my arms every time I use the vortex.  You really have to be careful reaching over the center when flipping meat.  I only use the Vortex for wings.  I use the slow and sear for all other cooks.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
I've gotten mine over 600.  It was actually over 600 for this cook before I put the wings on. This was using the Kingsford competition briquettes. I lose hair on my arms every time I use the vortex.  You really have to be careful reaching over the center when flipping meat.  I only use the Vortex for wings.  I use the slow and sear for all other cooks.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I used Fogo lump tonight with the vortex.   Better to use briquettes?

Gonna try the Vortex for steak, because why not?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
You need to do a dry rub and let the wings sit uncovered in the fidge for a few hours - over night is better- let that wet skin dry off and tighten up - than you get the good crunch. Sometimes I just cook the wings and you can tell that having them dry off really helps get the skin crispy- sauce in the dish

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »
On a cooling rack? 

You need to do a dry rub and let the wings sit uncovered in the fidge for a few hours - over night is better- let that wet skin dry off and tighten up - than you get the good crunch. Sometimes I just cook the wings and you can tell that having them dry off really helps get the skin crispy- sauce in the dish

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Steamroller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
I've only used briquettes, so not sure. I have tried the vortex for a reverse sear on some NY Strip steaks.  It does a great job, but not enough better than the slow and sear to justify me taking the time to switch them out.  I used the baskets forever and they work well enough for most of what I cook.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk