Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cutting Go Anywhere cook grate in half for stoking charcoal during a cook?  (Read 3356 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
I tried several phrases here on the forum to search for threads on this topic but nothing comes up.
Several Youtube Go Anywhere owners and enthusiasts show that they've cut the cook grid of their Go Anywhere charcoal grill into two equal halves, so they can add charcoal or maybe wood chunks to the fire at one end of the grill during a long cook. Sort of the same function as the hinged cook grid on my Kettle.
I cannot think of any downside to doing this.
Am I missing something? Maybe the "law of unintended consequences" sort of thing?
Thanks. Don
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:17:34 AM by Tallbald »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
I don't recall having seen this subject discussed in depth on the forum.  I have considered doing this, as well.  Just haven't gotten out the snippers...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
I think it’s a great idea but dont cut it in half, cut it into 1/3 and 2/3. You’ll appreciate the extra grate space but still have enough space to work with the charcoal.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Walchit

• WKC Performer
I think it’s a great idea but dont cut it in half, cut it into 1/3 and 2/3. You’ll appreciate the extra grate space but still have enough space to work with the charcoal.

That's what I was gonna say about the 1/3

I watched YouTube videos or something and I think the guy was fitting a mini chimney and his tools inside the GA for transport

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Thank you all so much. The Go Anywhere arrives tomorrow ( tracking tells me). I like the 1/3-2/3  idea very much and had not considered that. The ratio would accommodate  few more breasts or burgers should a guest arrive, while allowing me to stoke the charcoal easily.
Thanks again.
Don

bruceloethen

• Smokey Joe
I cut the grill grate slightly larger than one third / two thirds to give me enough room for my handle-less charcoal chimney. Allows me to store a brown bag full of charcoal in it for grilling when I travel. See image below.
CBTexas

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
I now have craycorts for mine but I cut mine 50/50 so it would fit in the bottom allowing space for my tools, mini chimney,  lighter cubes, lighter , bag of charcoal , wood chips and spices. Nice neat and compact.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bruceloethen

• Smokey Joe
This video  https://youtu.be/NuU47MiorXU  shows how I light my CGA for grilling.
CBTexas

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Thank you all for the responses. I have painting to do but yesterday the mini chimney arrived, and after my chores are fi ished I'll be modding the Go Anywhere using ideas shared here.
Don