Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa maria attachment needs a bottom  (Read 2125 times)

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
Santa maria attachment needs a bottom
« on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I had a dedicated beater bowl for my santa maria attachment but the high fires and the weight of the attachment ended up just destroying it.
Now we miss the open fire cooking of the SM and we need a replacement bowl. Was thinking of even getting one of those walmart jumbo joes for it. Has anybody used this setup!? Any thoughts

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Santa maria attachment needs a bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
Just look on Facebook marketplace for a used black 22.  Or you can try to catch one on closeout at the end of the season for cheap.   They can commonly be found for less than $100 And most of the parts are interchangeable with any other Weber 22.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
You might want to mention where you are located.

I'm guessing I'm not the only member with excess black kettles sitting around that were purchased solely for the accessories that came with them.  I know that I'd gladly cut a decent deal on one, just to avoid the hassle of taking pics & listing.

If you are in Chicago, near O'hare, feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:56:01 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Yeah, I’m sure you’ll be able to find a local grillfella to help you out with a kettle.

Or you may get lucky to find a cheap kettle on one of the local marketplaces.

That must have been some beater to fall apart already.

One tip, don’t build the fire in the bowl.

Use a couple of old cooking grates, stacked opposite to get a crosshatch, and build your fire on it.

That’s how I run mine

The attachment has plenty of room to move up and down. And there’s more room to spread out the fuel.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:26:36 AM »
@Xcm62 where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:12:43 PM »
Yeah, I’m sure you’ll be able to find a local grillfella to help you out with a kettle.

Use a couple of old cooking grates, stacked opposite to get a crosshatch, and build your fire on it.

That’s how I run mine

The attachment has plenty of room to move up and down. And there’s more room to spread out the fuel.

Awesome tip thanks!!

I am in south Florida

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 02:15:10 AM »
S.FL, look at Offerup or Letgo as well as craiglist and you will find a 22 cheap.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:59:21 PM by Tbagley »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
Definitely check out all 3, but also check out Facebook marketplace.  If you are lucky, you might even find a cheap one that comes with some interesting extras. 

If your need is immediate & you don't see anything that cheap, hopefully a local member will offer a good deal.  If you are lucky, you might even get a freebie. 
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
I just bought a really nice premium for 20, it was listed at 50, but she was moving out of her apartment.

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
I'm not sure about your area but here in SW Ohio, Facebook Marketplace frequently has Weber Kettles for sale anywhere from $10 to full list price. Given a week or two I feel sure I could find one for less than $50. Using the double charcoal grates cross hatched would be a superb idea for SM method.

rsmbob

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 01:47:48 PM »

That’s how I run mine

"Grate" idea! Any disadvantages to building the fire up on top of the cooking grate? I imagine a charcoal start and then feed with the wood?

I just brought my Gabby's Grill attachment home to Orange County after a trip up to the central coast. Great guy and he has a good business going! Got the attachment for my 22" kettle along with a rotisserie. Christened it with brats and burgers last night...tonight it gets the big tryout with 2 tri tips over red oak (or should I say Coast Live Oak).

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 03:52:15 PM »
Your SM grate is all the way down, so I’m assuming the fire is in the bowl?

No disadvantage as far as I’m concerned when using the upper grates. I think it’s better - more control being able to raise and lower your attachment grate.

Your red oak will be great

Traditional SM cooking is over white oak

I usually use mesquite lump because that’s what I have. Load up a chimney, and when they’re ready, spread them out on the the upper grates, adding chunks as needed.

Dude, relax your chicken.