Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1996 Genesis 1000 LX Restoration  (Read 5903 times)

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
1996 Genesis 1000 LX Restoration
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
Hello everyone.

Picked this up Genesis 1000 LX this week for my first restoration. The insides look like heck, but the tub and kart showed minimal rust. durawood is pretty worked and plan on swapping it out with some redwood.

Hit all of the bolts with Liquid Wrench multiple times and let sit overnight. All three bolts holding the tub came right out. Yeah. Went ahead and got the Harbor Freight angle grinding with wire wheel which worked great. Also lots of scrapping and 0000 steel wool and simple green on the top. It is coming along. Started painting today and should finish that up in the next couple of days.

Have all parts on order except the grate and flavor bars. That order should be finished up with RCPLANEBUYER after the holiday weekend.

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
Re: 1996 Genesis 1000 LX Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »
Here are the rest of the pictures that were meant for the first posting. Still figuring this out.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:26:02 AM »
Great rehab candidate.  Look forward to seeing the finished product. 

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Thanks. The project is coming along nicely. Just need to do the woodwork to replace the dura-wood and get the tables built up. Hoping to have this done for the first weekend in June.

Don't tell my wife, but looking at a green Genesis 1000 for my second rehab this weekend. I think that green is real pretty.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
Looks good keep us posted. I love my kettles and cook on them the most. But my Red Genny 1000 will never leave the back deck. I have guts to rebuild her twice over. The 1000 Genny is the best grill ever built hands down... Congrats on your new baby!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:50:03 PM »
Thanks Mike,
Will have more pictures up in a couple of days as it is coming together. Had grand plans to install wood slats. Put those on hold and cleaning up the durawood it came with. Will see how it looks them and gets some use out of it. Should have it going sometime this week.

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »
Have made progress and now on the final knockout list. Should have food on the grill before the end of the week.

This forum and the tips and ideas made this project much more successful than it would have been if I had been on my own. Thank you.

Things that went well on this project.
1. Firebox bolts were not an issue. Sprayed them with Liquid Wrench several times and let them sit overnight.
2. Razor blade scrapping and Simple Green with 0000 steel wool to clean the lid and control panel. I hate the smell of Simple Green, but works amazing.
3. Used the angle grinder/wire cup from Harbor Freight to clean the lid sides and firebox. Worked great. Must wear mask, goggles, hearing protection, heavy gloves etc. This thing is no joke and it wanted to kick on me.
4. The propane tank level label was in good shape. Taped around it and clear coated the label prior to any cleaning in that area.
5. After cleaning all parts to be painted, sprayed them with brake cleaner to make sure grease/oil was gone. Will see how good a job I did in a couple of years.
6. Used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra on the fire box and lid sides. Did four thin coats.
7. Durawood cleaned up well. Simple Green with Magic Eraser. 220 grit on the orbital sander and wiped it down with Aerospace 303.

Things that did not go great.
1. Broke a bolt trying to take the cart apart. Ordered a new star nut to fix and left the cart together. Worked fine for me that way for cleaning, sanding and painting.
2. Did not take all of the paint off the firebox and side lids. Now that they are painted, can see it in the texture. Next time, will make sure it is all down to bare metal in those areas.
3. Took more time than I expected. (Shocker)
4. The black lid has some discoloration on the top center. Nothing I can do about it, but it does bug me. The control panel is also scratched up a bit more than I was hoping. Considering is it 25 years old, need to build a bridge.....

At this point, I am waiting on the grate and flavor bars from RCplanebuyer. They are in the mail and the last piece to being able to fire it up.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
Got the final pieces for the rebuild today.....flavor bars and grates from RCplanebuyer. The UPS box was heavy. So are the bars and grates. These are no joke and super excited to cook on them in the next couple of days.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
That turned out great.
Nice job on the rebuild/upgrade.[emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »
Awesome restoration of a classic Genesis. Got a pic of that lid discoloration?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Msimcock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
I've tried to get a photo of it, but nothing has turned out with the shine on the lid. It is located on the top of the lid center near the front. It is approx 4 inches across. The discoloration is in the color, not on top. Have read the black pigment can discolor.