Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rust on my performer kettle inside and out!  (Read 887 times)

mjafirefighter

• Smokey Joe
Rust on my performer kettle inside and out!
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
I just bought a Weber Performer crimson color, but it has some rust spots on the inside and out and was wondering the best way to handle this? Also where can I find that crimson color paint?

Thank you

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rust on my performer kettle inside and out!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
New or used?  If new, take it back and get another.  If used, you might try checking with Weber to see if they have a replacement.  I wouldn't try painting it.

June2600

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »
I just bought the same one used in blue. I had the same issue so called Weber and it turns out that my unit was still under warranty so theyer  sending me a bunch of new pieces for free. Its definitely worth the call

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:43:45 PM by June2600 »

mjafirefighter

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Unfortunately I was not the original owner if that makes a difference and also the back sticker that has the serial number and info is located is not readable so i hope I am not SOL but thank for the input! Also if there is a little rust inside the bowl will that get on the meat and get us sick?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:18 AM »
She is good to go, just put a bit of cooking oil on the rust inside the bowl to help prevent spread.  Think of it this way, charcoal grates are always rusty, but you don't worry about that.  Your food is unlikely to touch it.  Even if it does, iron oxide is a pretty benign substance, probably would just add a tad of iron to your diet.  I wouldn't eat a pound of it though, that might not be good. 

Unfortunately I was not the original owner if that makes a difference and also the back sticker that has the serial number and info is located is not readable so i hope I am not SOL but thank for the input! Also if there is a little rust inside the bowl will that get on the meat and get us sick?
regards,
Hal

mjafirefighter

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:26:06 AM »
Thank you!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:07:08 AM »
Would you post pictures of the rust?  I've never seen rust inside a bowl even with abused kettles.