Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!  (Read 25526 times)

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
Re: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »
Yea I hear ya. Need to tell the wife need to be outside maintaining the temperature of the kettle and cocktails.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

Cabernet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
I know this is an old post and it looks like the lid is fixed. If this happens to anybody in the future try this to get rid of the melted plastic , flip the lid upside down and fill it with ice. Let it sit for a while until both the lid and the plastic are cold. Then gently try to pry off the plastic  You may need to sit the plastic in a bucket of ice as well. I have never removed plastic from a lid but had to remove burnt plastic from a piece of metal before and that how I did it .
 Cheers

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
Yeah, looking back I could probably have removed the plastic with a straight razor scraper.  I've done a bit of restoring since then and learned just how strong the porcelain enamel is.  The weathered warrior I picked up earlier this year has paint over spray on it which was easily removed with a razor scraper.  Interesting idea with the ice.  Thanks!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »

@bamakettles How many pellets would one go through verus chuncks of wood and charcoal for a 10 hour cook? That what has me on the fence for any pellet cookers.

Not sure and I've never cooked on a pellet grill before, just watched on YouTube.  I saw one yesterday that was a really good example and he showed details and pellet usage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Od8WymVjk

I'm a gadget guy and that's what draws me to it.  But I like the challenge of maintaining cook temps with charcoal and wood too..... That's kinda the fun of it for me.  So loading pellets and turning a knob would probably bore me.  : )
I have the EX6 and it’s very nice to be able to pay more attention to the food temps and monitoring the food. Not like I dont already. My first cook was a ten hour cook and went through most of a bag of pellets. Seems now I can do 4-5 hour on a quarter bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 10:53:38 AM »
...Cool, glad you're still liking the pellet grill.  I just can't get into them..... too many other options on my deck I guess.  Been enjoying cooking on the '78 Brownie lately.  Planning an 11lb pork shoulder on the WSM 22 sometime this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:57:40 AM by bamakettles »

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
I like the ice water idea and I was also thinking to bring it up to hot temp(almost to what melted it) and light ise a razor blade to scrape off the melting plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk