Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle pizza baking steel  (Read 12077 times)

Drymes

• Happy Cooker
Kettle pizza baking steel
« on: May 12, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum.

Just bought a used kettle pizza, I’ve been reading and watching a lot where people are putting baking steel on top of their  kettle pizza attachment,  being in Canada I can’t find anything like this. Do you think it would be okay to use another pizza stone above the kettle pizza attachment ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:44:00 PM by Drymes »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle pizza baking steel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Amazon has the kettle pizza stainless baking steel.  I have it, works well and can be used as a griddle as well.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle pizza baking steel
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:25:08 AM »
I wouldn't use a pizza stone above the pizza.  What you want is a metal disk of some sort that will reflect/radiate heat from the fire down on to the top of the pizza.  Its main purpose is help cook the top of the pizza.  I don't think a stone would do this as effectively.  As bamakettles mentioned I believe I purchased mine on Amazon.  It is expensive, but that is because it is relatively thick stainless steel.  If you want to go more on the budget side of things you could look for a regular steel disk on ebay, ask a fabricator to cut a disk (might not save that much over the actual stainless steel disk from kettle pizza), or if you have tools make your own. 

At bare minimum you will need an angle grinder with a cut off disk and a grinding disk along with gloves and safety glasses if you opt to do your own.  I think 1/8th inch steel plate would probably work.  Maybe thinner or thicker depending on what is available.  If you could get it cut in a 24" by 24" plate it would be fairly easy to handle and maybe even easier to cut if you have a metal chop saw.  I have the ability and tools available to do this myself though and still opted to buy the kettle pizza baking steel. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.