Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new guy looking for inputs  (Read 856 times)

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
A new guy looking for inputs
« on: May 12, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
Hey kettle guys and gals! Always been a huge fan of the kettles. And of this forum but ive never registered until now.
I just picked up of offer up this 1st gen performer which I thought was in pretty good shape except when I started cleaning her up I realized this bowl will not work. Corrosion has destroyed grate holders and the bottom vents are being eaten up by corrosion too. Florida weather will destroy even these. Besides the bowl,  the cart, the lid, ignition and everything else are in pretty good shape. What do you recommend I should do? I always wanted the vintage performer and really want to restore it. Do you think itd be worth it? Or should I scrap the project!!?

Thanks all you guys have awesome kettles here
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:21:22 PM by Xcm62 »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A new guy looking for inputs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
I would say since it's in a performer most repairs you do will be unseen unless you look hard, I say fix it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »
You might be surprised how well it will clean up if you look at some of the guides on the website for some tips.  The sweeps and grates are usually in pretty bad shape with most kettles.  I would do your best to clean it out and use it.  After cleaning it you can oil it up and cook on it to season the metal.  If you want something prettier in it you can find a donor kettle you want to drop into it.  You can use another kettle from some other Performer or you can buy some brackets from @qwesthunter and drop any standard MT kettle into it. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the response!! I have never repaired these. The bowl has some hole in it is some weak areas. How are these usually repaired?

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 05:07:18 PM »
That hole is for the gas assist and if you restore and keep it wouldn't require repair.  The gas assist tube will go through there and under your charcoal grate to light your charcoal.
Thanks for the response!! I have never repaired these. The bowl has some hole in it is some weak areas. How are these usually repaired?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
The bowl looks ok to me...the grate straps look functional, the ash sweeps can be replaced and I had an SSP with slowly rusting ash/vent openings on the bottom too.  It worked fine.  You can still use that bowl .  There are plenty of SSP restore threads on here.  Look them up and they will guide you.  If you have specific questions you can pm the folks on those threads.  You will love that SSP when you finish cleaning it up.  Nice score.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:25:00 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »
That hole is for the gas assist and if you restore and keep it wouldn't require repair.  The gas assist tube will go through there and under your charcoal grate to light your charcoal.

that hole is actually opposite the gas assist. is where the lid hanger is supposed to be attached! :-[

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »

that hole is actually opposite the gas assist. is where the lid hanger is supposed to be attached! :-[
Thats an easy fix. Do you have all of the parts for the lid bale?

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 05:38:28 PM »
Yes I have all the parts!! it just came apart while
I was cleaning it and left that hole

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 10:05:36 PM »
Yes I have all the parts!! it just came apart while
I was cleaning it and left that hole
The hole is supposed to be there.  It is where the center bracket of your lid bale attaches.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 01:19:33 AM »
Im not seeing any problems from the pics you posted.
Should clean up nice and make a great cooker. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 05:20:48 AM »
Just get some stainless steel fender washers to span the hole. It will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Xcm62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »
Awesome guys thanks for the inspiration to keep at it!! Another ssp restored pics to come!!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
Stainless hardware pretty much fixes all bumps, bruises and cuts lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app