Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Gourmet 22" Grill - Plated Steel vs New Stainless Steel Option  (Read 3540 times)

mattstaub

• WKC Brave
I hVe a Performer with the standard GBS grate. Only accessorie that I have is the cast iron sear grate but honestly, I sometimes question whether it is even necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger

I recommend going with the Stainless Steel GBS grate option, if you're willing to do so. You'll get a longer lasting cooking grate, plus it comes with a 5 year warranty over the 2 year on the standard Plated Steel GBS grate. Bringing a 22" Weber SS GBS cooking grate option to the US consumer was one of my key goals when working on launching the Build Your Own Master-Touch program. #IworkforWeber

John,

What does the 5 year (or 2 year warranty for that matter) for the cooking grates cover??

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Gourmet 22" Grill - Plated Steel vs New Stainless Steel Option
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2023, 05:49:44 PM »
JBurns, when you buy the SS upgrade GBS grill for the Mastertouch, does it replace the steel plated one it usually comes with or you get the SS one in addition to the steel plated one?  I ask because the grate add-on cost was $70 or so and you're saying part #65057 is $82.04 standalone.  I'm a bit confused.

Jburns

• Smokey Joe

I recommend going with the Stainless Steel GBS grate option, if you're willing to do so. You'll get a longer lasting cooking grate, plus it comes with a 5 year warranty over the 2 year on the standard Plated Steel GBS grate. Bringing a 22" Weber SS GBS cooking grate option to the US consumer was one of my key goals when working on launching the Build Your Own Master-Touch program. #IworkforWeber

John,

What does the 5 year (or 2 year warranty for that matter) for the cooking grates cover??

It covers excessive corrosion and any issues with the rods coming loose or otherwise failing. What it doesn't cover is surface corrosion that could be removed by cleaning/brushing the grate.

Jburns

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Gourmet 22" Grill - Plated Steel vs New Stainless Steel Option
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 07:30:38 AM »
JBurns, when you buy the SS upgrade GBS grill for the Mastertouch, does it replace the steel plated one it usually comes with or you get the SS one in addition to the steel plated one?  I ask because the grate add-on cost was $70 or so and you're saying part #65057 is $82.04 standalone.  I'm a bit confused.

Yes, if you select the SS GBS grate option through the Build Your Own Master-Touch program it replaces the plated steel one that would otherwise come with the grill. The 65057 pricing is different because it was created as a replacement part, which includes separate packaging, storage location in our facilities, etc. Replacement componentry is not priced one-for-one with components that are included as features of a finished good unit.

getlego

• WKC Brave
I ordered the burnt orange with SS and I was very impressed with it. I just took a cheap micrometer and they are basically the same gauge rods as the plated version. If anything the SS is ever so slightly smaller probably due to the plating on the regular. They are basically the same heavy gauge and the gbs is much thicker than the regular flip up grate. I haven’t cooked on it yet but I have the Weber SS on my 26 and love it. I actually almost ruined the insert on my LE by playing around with a vortex. I’ve learned not to have any grate over the vortex unless you’re going to cook on it and then get it off. The gbs is a great option if you plan to cook with a vortex. It’s the perfect size hole to fit one. Any other grate will get ruined by the high heat.

For me, I spent the money for the upgrade because I like the gbs setup and I plan on using it on other grills I own. I also thought if I only had one grill I would be happy with the SS. I think the plated version is in the 45 dollar range and now I have a rusty insert. I don’t think Weber sells it separately.

getlego

• WKC Brave
For comparison.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
I’ve had an SNS grills easy spin since 2018.   It’s 304 ss.  Stainless is the only way to go.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have two(2) Easy Spins 22" for my Weber Performer Deluxe and Weber Master Touch Grills and to date remain one-happy SNS Customer.