Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which size Weber kettle to complement a Pit Barrel Cooker for versatility?  (Read 954 times)

thornsbreak

• Happy Cooker
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the sport here, and just about to make my first purchase with some housewarming gift money.  I'm eager to both smoke and grill, and to have a really flexible setup.  I've pretty much sold myself on the Pit Barrel Cooker for big and easy bbq smoking, but it seems like I'll need a kettle grill to really round out my cooking options.  So the question is: 22 inch or 26 inch Weber as the best complement to the PBC?  AND, if I get the 26 incher, which slow n sear do you recommend?  Original cheapie, 2.0 with removable water tray, or the big mutha?

I cook mainly for me and my wife (currently on a TINY picnic masterbuilt piece of junk at ground level).  I imagine we'll have friends over from time to time, but I don't foresee cooking for the whole block or anything.  But I do like to cook and have leftovers. I plan to both grill and smoke, and cook whole meals on the grates.  I'd like to use the weber sometimes for the more temp-controlled slow n low burn than the Pit Barrel Cooker can offer.  I'm really excited to do some serious bbq, including racks of ribs and full size briskets and boston butts.  But I also frequently cook burgers, chicken thighs, steaks, etc.

I had previously settled on the 22 inch Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch, a real beauty.  I like the extra height it has over the standard 22 inchers, which seem annoyingly short.  I don't think I'd ever really use the removable Gourmet bbq system circle thingy in the middle, and might actually find that piece annoying compared to a regular grate with just the foldable charcoal access sides.  And I just LOVE that color.

But I've read around and saw that the 26 inch has most of the same features as the 22 in Master Touch, including the extra height, and that a lot of people seem to love them and say if they could only use keep one cooker, the 26 would be the one.  But I wonder if it might be overkill (price and size!) for me.

What would your vote be for the right grill to pair with a Pit Barrel Cooker?  Snag a cheapie 22 inch Weber on craigslist or facebook and feel it out for a while?  Dive straight in and grab the mammoth 26 inch at full retail price?  Or go for aesthetics and get the 22 inch blue beauty?

And again, what is your suggestion for optimal bang for buck slow n sear setup on a 26 incher? 

OK, thanks for helping me waffle my way through a decision I'm probably overthinking...

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
The 22 will allow you to use a large variety of accessories that the 26er won't.  However, the 26er will allow you greater capacity when it comes to cooking for groups or doing offset smoking.  You really can't go wrong with either.  If you really go down the rabbit hole like most people here you will end up with both eventually.  If you start to lean more towards the 22s and are going to pay full retail would take a good look at the performer series.  The gas assist isn't an absolute necessity, but the table and lower rack is very nice to have. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
And, if you are going to look at a Performer, look at the special Slate Blue one available at Crate & Barrell for the same price as one of the more ordinary colors.  https://www.crateandbarrel.com/weber-slate-blue-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/s515068
regards,
Hal

ff1676

• Happy Cooker
I own a performer, a standard 22 in kettle, and a 22" WSM. I have a family of 4, and cooking for the entire family requires me to fire up both kettles. My brother in law looked at my set-up and decided to purchase the 26.75 Kettle. The extra capacity cannot be beat. He grills and smokes on his. I have grill envy. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the 26 in kettle. As for the slow n sear, I used to own one, I gave it away. The SnS kept clogging with ash and choking itself causing temperature fluctuations and unnecessary lid openings. There are other methods to smoke on a Kettle.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
I’d say go with a 26 and get the SNSXL.

But it depends on how many you cook for regularly. If it’s just you or you and another, the 22 is fine. If you have kids or regularly have people over to eat get the 26. I often found myself trying to juggle parts of meals on a 22 and eventually had to fire up 2 to have enough room. When I got a great deal on a 26, I never looked back.

My SNSXL is permanently parked in mine. I use it for a convenient 2 zone or if I want to smoke (and not pull out the WSM).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Darko

• WKC Performer
If you want just one go for the 26" You could even use it instead of the pit barrel cooker.

thornsbreak

• Happy Cooker
Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions! 

Simple economics has sort of settled this for now: can't have it all, yet!  And when I made up my mind that I wanted to spring for the Pit Barrel Cooker sooner than later, because I want to do a lot of easy bbq smoking this summer, that drained most of the available funds.

So it's going to be a hunt for a used Weber on facebook and craigslist, which means most likely a 22 incher for hopefully about $50 or so.  That will give me a very affordable dedicated grill that I can also mess around with to learn low and slow technique on a kettle.  It will also give me a low-risk chance to see whether I end up actually wanting more grilling area, or if a 22 is going to be enough.

If a deal on a used 26 pops up, I would surely spring for it.  But since I hear that's pretty rare, I'll probably just test drive a $50 black classic 22 inch kettle for now, and see if I want to save up down the road for a bigger/prettier/brand new kettle at full retail.

Still love that deep ocean blue, so if I end up liking the 22 inch size, I may just have to spring for that one sometime down the road.

Oh, and in case anyone is curious, I settled on the slow-n-sear 1.0,  which I had already placed an order for before posting, but was wondering if I should think about changing it.  It's still on backorder until late may.  I read enough posts about people with 26 inch kettles using the original SnS 1.0, that I figured it would work out in any situation down the road... plus it doesn't have the grate at the bottom that some people complain gets clogged with ash mid-cook and causes temp and airflow problems.  And it's cheapest... so... win-win-win.