Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Avocado Economics 101 "Free"  (Read 4923 times)

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
Avocado Economics 101 "Free"
« on: May 08, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »
48 hrs ago I didn't own a kettle grill, but thanks to the BBQ Gods, and some good timing on my part I'm now the proud owner of a 18" Patient Pending Avocado kettle in really good shape (was randomly left for dead in my front yard).   I've named her "Bakersfield" as a tribute to Tom Hanks character in CASTAWAY to illustrate our fortuitous union.

"Bakersfield??  Bakersfield!!??  BAKERSFIELD!!!!"

I've attached a picture of Bakersfield in-front of our 90 year old avocado tree.

I was lucky to get a free grill. Here is what free looks like:

$34 small vortex
$56 new walnut handles
$38 hinged grate
$20 char-box
$20 BBQ gloves
$10 Fire starters
$14 chicken roaster
$20 Grill brush
$30 Quick-read thermometer
$30 Pizza peel
$27 Ash catcher
$56 Stainless vortex with water res. (for my other grill).
LASTLY, a WKC tshirt California chapter of course! $23

I spent most of yesterday covered in grime doing my deep clean, but that is done, and now ready for action!  I'm thrilled with my new grill, hobby and the great food that will come off of "Bakersfield." 

As a former owner of a 60' boat I can assure you this is all rather healthy spending---If you're a boat owner your know what I'm talking about!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:54:47 PM by B-SIDE »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Avocado Economics 101 "Free"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
Nice, BOAT noun a wood lined hole in the water to put your money in LOL or Break Out Another Thousand
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
Nice picture!  I've had boats over the years, experienced the joys and heartaches.  I much prefer grilling now with a bottle of suds......less risk and there's usually a bathroom close by!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
Avocado 18" front of avocado tree. Nice! Very interesting story on how you got it.

I don't see replacement 2 missing bowl vents on that list.

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:52:47 AM »
Sooooooo true!  Realistically if it were just a $1000 here and $1000 there I could budget, but instead it is significantly less predictable.

Nice, BOAT noun a wood lined hole in the water to put your money in LOL or Break Out Another Thousand

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
Nice picture!  I've had boats over the years, experienced the joys and heartaches.  I much prefer grilling now with a bottle of suds......less risk and there's usually a bathroom close by!

Very very accurate on so many levels.  I had a hard time relaxing on my boat--you hit the nail on the head: RISK. The SF Bay is no joke, plus mix in all your friends, suds, etc. and it was never "put your feet up time" unless I was tied to a mooring ball.

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 11:59:58 AM »
Avocado 18" front of avocado tree. Nice! Very interesting story on how you got it.

Very observant!! I haven't tackled that issue yet.  I'm curious where to start--call Weber or start working the boards here?  Once I find it, what tool is used to do the rivet?

Other concern, when the wood handle breaks off in the next week, how do you take "apart" rivet?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:05:40 PM »

Very very accurate on so many levels.  I had a hard time relaxing on my boat--you hit the nail on the head: RISK. The SF Bay is no joke, plus mix in all your friends, suds, etc. and it was never "put your feet up time" unless I was tied to a mooring ball.

Well said.... I used to really envy those lucky boaters at the marina sitting on their houseboats in their slips watching us all working and sweating to have fun.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »

Very observant!! I haven't tackled that issue yet.  I'm curious where to start--call Weber or start working the boards here?  Once I find it, what tool is used to do the rivet?

Other concern, when the wood handle breaks off in the next week, how do you take "apart" rivet?

Your best bet is to ask on the sales and trade section. Once you get them, take out remaining rivets by drilling them out and just bolting them(replacement vents) with SS nuts and bolts. Same thing with the rivets on the lid handle. Drill them out.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
Nice Cado.
I believe that you can get replacement vents for them still.
I am not positive but I believe that the vents on the 18" Wsm are very similar.
I can look closer tomorrow at mine or maybe someone else here knows.
And welcome to the Wkc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 07:04:09 AM »
 Thank you! So far I haven’t found too much out there for replacement vents, if the mountain versions fit that will be good to know. I’ll measure later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »
Thank you! So far I haven’t found too much out there for replacement vents, if the mountain versions fit that will be good to know. I’ll measure later today.

I can help you out with two replacement bowl vents.  I just happen to have an old economy 18" bowl that has two bowl vents left on it.  The vents are the same size as the one that is left on your kettle but are a newer design and will have larger vent tabs.  It will get you up and cooking and the difference will be hardly noticeable.  I can also redo the white walls on those wheels for you if you'd like  Send me a PM and we can coordinate a meet up.  I'm in Castro Valley, a stones throw from Alameda.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »

I can help you out with two replacement bowl vents.  I just happen to have an old economy 18" bowl that has two bowl vents left on it.  The vents are the same size as the one that is left on your kettle but are a newer design and will have larger vent tabs.  It will get you up and cooking and the difference will be hardly noticeable.  I can also redo the white walls on those wheels for you if you'd like  Send me a PM and we can coordinate a meet up.  I'm in Castro Valley, a stones throw from Alameda.

If you take Jim up on his offer you will NOT be disappointed
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
... plus one. Careful tho one trip to Jim's was all it took to kick my weberitis into full swing!

If you take Jim up on his offer you will NOT be disappointed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 02:31:47 AM »

YES!!!!!  I’ll be in touch!!!  Thank you so much!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club