Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Imperial Sequoia questions  (Read 2220 times)

Vic mackey

• Happy Cooker
Weber Imperial Sequoia questions
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:49:30 AM »
So I have this Imperial Sequoia. I am on the fence as to if I want to keep it or not.

The biggest factor in keeping it or trading it, boils down to how hard its going to be to get a proper kettle, and how much money that kettle is going to cost.

As you can see in the pics, the kettle is clearly not original. There is a green Weber silver bowl sort of dropped into the hole that the old bowl used to be in. The cart is in very solid condition. It has two hooks on the one end and the round towel hangers on the other end.

So I have a bunch of questions. If anyone can answer them, it would be great.

1. I am assuming the cart has been painted. Can anyone recall this cart color being factory?

2. are tabbed bowls still available? If so, approximate cost?

3. If the cart is not factory painted. Has anyone had any luck removing paint, but keeping the factory stain intact?

Your answers are going to go a long way to determining if I keep the Sequoia or trade it for another grill.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

randy

• WKC Ranger
Weber Imperial Sequoia questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 07:24:45 AM »
Nice sequoia you have there.
1, it’s been painted
2, no but you may be able to find one from someone around here
3, sanding down and putting a fresh coat of stain on in original color is you best option.

I’m interested in if if you want to pass it on, I sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:28:47 AM by randy »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Imperial Sequoia questions
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »
I saw that one.  Nice score. 

The biggest issue will be finding a tabbed bowl.  Basically, you may find one IF someone has a sequoia that is NOT solid or finds a Seville with an awful frame, but a nice bowl. 

Another option would be to find a bowl that you like that either has two handles on the bowl or that is for a performer & has the two brackets.  If it has the handles, REMOVE the plastic/wood portions from the handles to make the handles a LOT less noticeable.  If you don't want to strip paint & refinish, look for some paint that is supposed to be the sort of "redwood" color and paint over the black with it.

I suppose if you have a trashed black kettle around, you might even try your luck at cutting off the portion of the handle that connects the two tabs that are attached to the grill.  Maybe then try putting the now free end of one tab in a vise and see if you can twist the now free end of the tab 90 degrees without popping the tab off the kettle.

Another option would be to cut the entire handle off & then just mount some small stainless steel corner braces to the bowl.  Basically, something like this, but even a bit smaller will likely work.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-Corner-Brace-4-Pack-13539/202950155  I would probably do three around the bowl because it will likely work & you can have a little bit more slop in your placement than if you do four, without having a wobble. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:03:12 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 08:07:30 AM »
That’s a “factory” color. Originally it prob would have looked like this. Avocado grill with white wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vic mackey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
I saw that one.  Nice score. 

The biggest issue will be finding a tabbed bowl.  Basically, you may find one IF someone has a sequoia that is NOT solid or finds a Seville with an awful frame, but a nice bowl. 

Another option would be to find a bowl that you like that either has two handles on the bowl or that is for a performer & has the two brackets.  If it has the handles, REMOVE the plastic/wood portions from the handles to make the handles a LOT less noticeable.  If you don't want to strip paint & refinish, look for some paint that is supposed to be the sort of "redwood" color and paint over the black with it.

I suppose if you have a trashed black kettle around, you might even try your luck at cutting off the portion of the handle that connects the two tabs that are attached to the grill.  Maybe then try putting the now free end of one tab in a vise and see if you can twist the now free end of the tab 90 degrees without popping the tab off the kettle.

Another option would be to cut the entire handle off & then just mount some small stainless steel corner braces to the bowl.  Basically, something like this, but even a bit smaller will likely work.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-Corner-Brace-4-Pack-13539/202950155  I would probably do three around the bowl because it will likely work & you can have a little bit more slop in your placement than if you do four, without having a wobble.

Thanks for the ideas. I do have a beat up kettle. I was considering grinding the handle off and getting some small 90 degree brackets and sort of bolting 3 "tabs" on it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Vic mackey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:12:53 AM »
That’s a “factory” color. Originally it prob would have looked like this. Avocado grill with white wheels.

You just made my day!!!!! To be honest I like the red color better, but I feel so much better that it is factory.

I saw another online, but just thought it had been painted as well. I did look through the old PDF Weber catalogs on this site. And I did not see any mention of a black/gray color. That is why I thought it was painted. If it is factory, I wonder why the color isn't mentioned in the catalog?

Thanks for the post.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:22:55 AM »
COOL!

regards,
Hal

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
Hi Vic,

That's a nice sequoia.  If you are wanting to restore it there is lots of information here from others who have completed sequoia restores ( I'm in the process of doing one myself).  You could always leave that kettle in place until you come across a tabbed bowl (I have a little over a year to find one for mine sequoia cart).  If you decide to pass it on thanks for offering to the club first.  Those hooks should be placed closer together and lower.  They are hooks to hold the lid.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »
Thank you @1spacemanspiff for the close up of the hooks.  Those are broken off mine.

Hi Vic,

That's a nice sequoia.  If you are wanting to restore it there is lots of information here from others who have completed sequoia restores ( I'm in the process of doing one myself).  You could always leave that kettle in place until you come across a tabbed bowl (I have a little over a year to find one for mine sequoia cart).  If you decide to pass it on thanks for offering to the club first.  Those hooks should be placed closer together and lower.  They are hooks to hold the lid.
regards,
Hal

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
@PotsieWeber  are you keeping it?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »
My Sequoia or my broken hooks?   :D  Mine isn't the black one the post is about. 

@PotsieWeber  are you keeping it?
regards,
Hal

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
I thought I had an extra set of hooks but they got used
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:34:13 AM by 1spacemanspiff »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
DAMN!  That would have been great.  I kind of figure that I'll run across something close enough one day, so I don't have to try my hand at fabricating them. 

I had figured that maybe you who was who and was interested in the black one from the post.  I still have to strip the paint off mine and mine came with a brown bowl with wood handles & a lid.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
@Vic mackey

Another thought, if you have a bowl with two wood handles, you might just sand the handles down a bit to remove any finish (so old weathered ones are just fine) & then just stain them black to match the cart.
regards,
Hal

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 07:00:32 AM »
Vic, congrats on that score, I saw that grill but my wife has me quarantined from grill scores at the moment.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.