Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rust on lid handle section  (Read 5128 times)

Dunstablegrizzly

• Happy Cooker
Rust on lid handle section
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
So the last time I smoked a pork butt I had spritzed it with apple juice throughout the cook. When finished I smothered out the charcoal and let it cool down. I went to take off the lid and it was sealed close. I pulled on it pretty hard but it didnt budge. I finally got some hot water and poured on the lid and it quickly came off.

So today I'm about to get it ready to smoke some chicken quarters and I noticed a little orange rust where the handle is spot welded to the lid. It looks like I may have chipped the coating because the handle did seem to bend when I was pulling hard. Not too badly but I think it may have chipped the coating and then its been raining ever since. Now I keep the original cover on it but I'm sure just the humidity gets in no matter what.

So even though it is such a small thing, and by small I mean my wife couldn't even see it when i was pointing it out to her, it's been driving me insane. I was thinking of hitting it with some black nail polish or at the very least maybe applying a drop of oil. Should I just not worry about? I know my OCD wont let move on from it lol.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Rust on lid handle section
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »

I recommend a little vegetable oil or bacon grease applied to that area.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
Canola oil will do the trick.  I wouldn’t worry about it, some of mine have quarter size rust spots and I just keep them oiled to prevent further rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
Example.... this is a 1973.  Will never rust through as long as I put a little oil on it from time to time and keep it dry between cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dunstablegrizzly

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
Put some canola oil on it. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.