Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is it preposterous how much hard fat meat packers leave on a packer brisket?  (Read 1790 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Usually I’m paying around 3.59 lb for a packer brisket and by the time I trim it I figure I must take off at least 20% of hard fat if not more. [/font]

[/font]
Pretty crazy[/font]
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
either you trim it or the butcher trims it, if the butcher trims the price will rise. Some of the fat is usable if your are doing any grinding of meat. or you could render the usable fat down for frying in. Beef tallow makes great french fries !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Oh yeah!  That fat is not waste. I fry sweet potato fries in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I’m happy with Costco prime brisket. There is still a lot of trimming to do but not as much as some of the cheap choice briskets I was getting at gfs.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
I keep a jar of smoked/rendered brisket fat in my fridge kinda like most folks keep bacon grease...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
I keep the fat for making ground meat or sausage. 

I’ve cooked a lot of brisket and each one is different.      I’d still rather pay $3.79 a pound at Costco and trim myself than pay the butcher.   I’ll never buy flats again because of it.  The butcher doubles the price.   Same is true for pork loins.  I always buy it whole and slice myself.  Good excuse to have a nice set of knives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Interesting, I never thought to keep the fat for frying or otherwise.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Thanks for the tips guys
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Darko

• WKC Performer
I’m happy with Costco prime brisket. There is still a lot of trimming to do but not as much as some of the cheap choice briskets I was getting at gfs.

What does GFS stand for?  "Good For Shit" ?  8) ;D

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
@Darko its a chain of stores here in the states called Gordon Food Service.  Restaurant supplies and items in bulk.
https://www.gfs.com/en-us
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I’m not crazy about their briskets but I really like their burgers and hot dogs. I also buy pepperoni and cheese there for pizza making.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
@HoosierKettle I don't have a Costco membership so prime brisket isn't available to me for a good price.  Their briskets are just ok, I too like their burgers and dogs for parties.  Sounds like I need to check out their pizza.  I have bought the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own steaks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
@HoosierKettle I don't have a Costco membership so prime brisket isn't available to me for a good price.  Their briskets are just ok, I too like their burgers and dogs for parties.  Sounds like I need to check out their pizza.  I have bought the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own steaks.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had a gfs brisket, I would cook and eat it in a heartbeat. Still good. Something about the prime seems a little more forgiving. More moisture imo.

Those third pound frozen burger patties are incredible. I still like a good frozen burger for having a quick dinner.

The pizza supplies are bulk. Huge bags of pepperoni and huge bags of cheese. I’ll use what I need and freeze the rest. Good if you plan on making pizzas frequently so you have some basic ingredients on hand.