Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Basement beans and chops  (Read 8812 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Basement beans and chops
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »
I have a similar recipe.  I also use some ketchup and apple cider vinegar for some tang.  Sometimes I layer uncooked bacon on top.   Yeah....Different each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iBobEQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
Looks great - love the idea of putting the beans down on the lower coal grate.

Is that a 26”?
18” Kamado Joe  Horizon offset smoker
22.5 Red Limited Edition Weber 36” Griddle

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »

Looks great - love the idea of putting the beans down on the lower coal grate.

Is that a 26”?

Yes sir

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
"Basement beans" - Ha! I like it! Interesting setup!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Basement beans and chops
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
Super simple on the beans this time. One tall skinny can of Bush’s beans (juice drained), one onion and jalapeño and half pound of bacon sautéed before added, a little sweet baby rays, and a little Tony’s.  They were incredible. Mulberry for smoke.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:44:48 PM by HoosierKettle »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
One of my favorite dinners.   Nice cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »
Love basement beans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »
That sounds good, need to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 03:53:34 AM »
Bean recipe please?

If you are looking for an out-of-this-world bean recipe, you need to check out Kent Rollins' Cowboy Beans / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6RgolSB0M. I used to make baked beans with Bush's beans which my family and I thought were top-tier. After trying his recipe, I can no longer eat regular baked beans. What's nice is that you can make them on the fire in a dutch over, or in the oven.

I would always pass by the "Ranch Beans" in the black and white cans, thinking what outlier buys those things, as well as the large Pork and Beans cans. Now I am that outlier and couldn't be happier. The BBQ sauce that I use when I make it is Sweet Baby Ray's original, although I think any slightly sweet BBQ sauce would work. Not sure how well it would come out with a more savory style such as an Open Pit original. In any event, these beans will change you and the chipotle peppers and a couple of spoonfuls of the adobo sauce in the can pack great flavor and heat (although I only add three peppers, not nearly as many as Kent recommends). Enjoy!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 05:25:42 AM »

Bean recipe please?

If you are looking for an out-of-this-world bean recipe, you need to check out Kent Rollins' Cowboy Beans / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6RgolSB0M. I used to make baked beans with Bush's beans which my family and I thought were top-tier. After trying his recipe, I can no longer eat regular baked beans. What's nice is that you can make them on the fire in a dutch over, or in the oven.

I would always pass by the "Ranch Beans" in the black and white cans, thinking what outlier buys those things, as well as the large Pork and Beans cans. Now I am that outlier and couldn't be happier. The BBQ sauce that I use when I make it is Sweet Baby Ray's original, although I think any slightly sweet BBQ sauce would work. Not sure how well it would come out with a more savory style such as an Open Pit original. In any event, these beans will change you and the chipotle peppers and a couple of spoonfuls of the adobo sauce in the can pack great flavor and heat (although I only add three peppers, not nearly as many as Kent recommends). Enjoy!

I’ve seen that video before and have been meaning to try it.  Thanks for the inspiration, I will definitely give these a try next time. His recipes are great. Give his fried chicken recipe a try. It’s incredible.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »
I've done basement beans by draining off the liquid and like others change it up from time to time, but the one ingredient I use that kinda stays the same is beer, right now I like dark ales so that is what I will put in, I have used a German Dunkel before WOW!  for long Cooks I'll put a whole can in, it will be soupy at first but it will cook off YUM!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »
@1911Ron we have not heard from you in a while, hope all is well, glad to see you post

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
@1911Ron we have not heard from you in a while, hope all is well, glad to see you post

@JEBIV  doing good busy, busy! 
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
So if using a SnS and doing basement beans, will they still get smoke. Probably a dumb question as the kettle is small but figured I would ask. I like the idea of them just want to make sure they will get that nice smokey flavor.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 07:17:45 AM »

So if using a SnS and doing basement beans, will they still get smoke. Probably a dumb question as the kettle is small but figured I would ask. I like the idea of them just want to make sure they will get that nice smokey flavor.

Yes. They for sure get the nice Smokey flavor.