Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch oven instead of water pan?  (Read 8606 times)

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
Dutch oven instead of water pan?
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
So my father gave me an old Dutch oven inherited from my grandmother. I test fit it in the 14.5 and it's a perfect fit! Even with the lid on, it clears the top grate by a couple inches, and it's a few inches above the coals. I'm thinking chili or stew fixin's in the Dutch oven simmering away, meat smoking above, drippings caught and savored.

Previously, I'd used the pot from my 3qt instant pot to roast veggies and make stew. That sat inside the water pan, and just cleared the grate. The heat transfer was almost non-existent. It was imperfect to say the least, but it worked... Kinda. This seems a much better solution.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Is it futile? Am I beating a dead horse?

jmiester

• Smokey Joe
Re: Dutch oven instead of water pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
I think it will work grate as long as the temp is not to high and end up burning what is in the cast iron

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
I think you should still use the heat deflector and raise the Dutch oven to the bottom grate to act as your drip pan.  My concern is the direct heat will burn the contents of your DO and you won’t be able to stir it without opening up your WSM, removing your top grate, and causing temp spikes each time. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »

I think you should still use the heat deflector and raise the Dutch oven to the bottom grate to act as your drip pan.  My concern is the direct heat will burn the contents of your DO and you won’t be able to stir it without opening up your WSM, removing your top grate, and causing temp spikes each time.

+1

Do you have a kettle?  Drop the Dutch oven to the basement and run a snake around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 07:09:31 PM »
Ok I broke this rig out tonight again. This time I'm using the foil wrapped water pan in place, with the Dutch oven sitting on the lower grate. I neglected to take pictures of the food process, but took a couple anyway.

+1

Do you have a kettle?  Drop the Dutch oven to the basement and run a snake around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I do have a kettle, but I find it's much more finicky than the WSM. That said, I think you may be in

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »
May be onto something. (Posting from phone)