Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: COVID-19 work from home First time Ranch smoke  (Read 1396 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
COVID-19 work from home First time Ranch smoke
« on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
Things keep tightening up here with restrictions on what can be open, what you can do, etc etc.   Anyhow the Lococo’s near me had a sale on side ribs.  The price per pound was down and then they added a buy two, get the third one free deal.  So I did.

Work has done a 180 degree U turn on (among many other things; sheesh guys, stop writing each other bonus cheque’s and get it together) work from home so I’ve been at home with a laptop I’ve had for three years that I’ve never been allowed to remote in with before.

Also, my Ranch has been seriously under utilized which was frustrating me to no end since I got it but I’m not even sure I fired it up at all last year.

Combine all three, the deal on ribs, working from home, and the desire to use the Ranch more and I spent part of the afternoon alternating between sitting in the back yard on my laptop with a coffee, walking over to the Ranch and getting it ready, and as soon as I went off the clock, getting the ribs ready.  They’re smoking now.  I’ve never smoked on the ranch before so this is a total experiment.  Hopefully they turn out well.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: COVID-19 work from home First time Ranch smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
I wanna see um finished. Look fantabulous!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
Is that a 2x1 snake ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »

Is that a 2x1 snake ?

Close.  What I did was make a triangular profile snake where it’s two briquettes wide on the bottom layer and a single layer on the top where the briquettes in the top layer straddle the ones on the bottom.   I’m not sure it’s enough to keep the temperature propped up.  It’s running much cooler than my WSM usually does.

Anyhow I’ve attached a picture of the progress thus far.

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:17:46 AM »
3x2 snake will hold 250
Text @ 419-619-6379

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »

3x2 snake will hold 250

Yeah, thanks for that tip, I was thinking of going to a 2x2 but in light of that I’ll bump it up more since it had a hard time staying above 200 and took forever to even get there.  I ended up finishing the ribs in the oven and they weren’t all that good.  About the same as the meh stuff one of the local restaurant chains served.

There’s always next time.  Anyhow the real head scratcher to me was not being able to get the temperature up on the Ranch. Previously, for regular grilling, I’ve had the opposite problem with it skyrocketing and difficulty keeping it down to a reasonable level since it was constantly trying to run away and turn into an inferno.  That’s why I went light on the charcoals for smoking...