Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Genesis find  (Read 6962 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Red Genesis find
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
On Monday after dinner my wife and I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to get out of the house a bit (we kept our social distance from others) when I see the lady catty-corner across the street rolling an old Red Weber Genesis to the curb.  I have never had much interest in gassers, but here was one literally across the street.  I asked the neighbor if it was free for the taking, and she said it was mine if I wanted it.  I told the lovely wife that if it was still there when we got back from our walk I would take it.  She resisted, but as we are all stuck home right now, she relented...fixing it up would give me something to do. 

Anyway, I cleaned it up.  I razor scraped the firebox, drip pan, and drip tray, scraped some gunk off the lid, and gave everything a good clean.  I also sanded down and refinished the handle.  The ignitor is broken, but that's not too big a deal.  The flavorizer bars all look pretty good, and the grates just needed cleaning (though I think I'm going to give it a more thorough cleaning later).  I'm still not sure if I'll keep it or sell it.  I know very little about gassers.  My only question is if this is propane or natural gas...I think it's propane, but the regulator is weird.  I don't have a big tank here at home, and before I go searching one out I'd like to know.  Lastly, would anyone know what model this is? 

Here are the cleaned up pics with closeups of the regulator:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red Genesis find
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
I don't know much about these either, but that fitting looks like a fitting I have on my deck (for an LP grill I presume) that I have never connected.  I'll bet your neighbor had it connected to a pipe leading to a larger LP tank.  Just a guess.....but the regulator does say LP, so I doubt it's for a natural gas connection.  Or that is the older type of LP tank connector.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
That is definitely a propane model. Natural gas does not use a regulator. Also judging by the single bar on the lower frame it is an early model. You may find some date stamps in the castings on the inside of the lid. You may also find serial number on the bottom side of the control panel. Be careful what you clean it with the numbers wipe off very easily. I have restored a few of those early models. They are great cookers. I have a Genesis Junior and a Genesis IV with the double bars. I believe the only reason they discontinued the double flavorizer bars was lower cost of manufacturing and larger profit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
Agree with above...great cooker. Best cooking gas grill I’ve ever owned. I have the same grill and it is absolutely fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
Great find.  That is a Genesis 1. It was the first Genesis made. Not many of those still around. 

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:06:11 AM »
Awesome find!
Man red genesises are just popping up everywhere right now, I just found a 2000 I’m gonna start restoring

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Awesome find!
Man red genesises are just popping up everywhere right now, I just found a 2000 I’m gonna start restoring

Nice! I'm kinda jelly. I love the way those look.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »

On Monday after dinner my wife and I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to get out of the house a bit (we kept our social distance from others) when I see the lady catty-corner across the street rolling an old Red Weber Genesis to the curb.  I have never had much interest in gassers, but here was one literally across the street.  I asked the neighbor if it was free for the taking, and she said it was mine if I wanted it.  I told the lovely wife that if it was still there when we got back from our walk I would take it.  She resisted, but as we are all stuck home right now, she relented...fixing it up would give me something to do. 

Anyway, I cleaned it up.  I razor scraped the firebox, drip pan, and drip tray, scraped some gunk off the lid, and gave everything a good clean.  I also sanded down and refinished the handle.  The ignitor is broken, but that's not too big a deal.  The flavorizer bars all look pretty good, and the grates just needed cleaning (though I think I'm going to give it a more thorough cleaning later).  I'm still not sure if I'll keep it or sell it.  I know very little about gassers.  My only question is if this is propane or natural gas...I think it's propane, but the regulator is weird.  I don't have a big tank here at home, and before I go searching one out I'd like to know.  Lastly, would anyone know what model this is? 

Here are the cleaned up pics with closeups of the regulator:

Hey Jason what did you finish the handle with?

I’m almost at that point too and looking for some ideas

Any pics?

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »
@WNC I used Howard's Restore-a-Finish Walnut tone and then some Howard's Wax-n-Seal (It's what I have on hand).  It keeps the handles looking good for about a year before you need to reapply. 

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Red Genesis find
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »
It’s alive!  Lady down the street selling 2 propane tanks for $20...bought both selling one for 20...this baby is back in business for free!

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
It’s alive!  Lady down the street selling 2 propane tanks for $20...bought both selling one for 20...this baby is back in business for free!

Grate save Jason
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:50 AM »
Awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
Nice!
I bet you can get the igniter to work again.
The one I was working on would go down and not come back up. I sprayed it with a little wd40 right around the edge of the button and after a few up and downs the action was just fine.
Sanded inside the little “gas catcher box” and the element at the end, and now it works just fine.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
@WNC the whole apparatus for the igniter is missing...it's honestly no big deal.  I love that they have a hole for a stick lighter right at the front.