Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle Cast Iron Grate  (Read 1416 times)

craycort

• Happy Cooker
Ranch Kettle Cast Iron Grate
« on: March 22, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
I am raising money to produce a cast iron grate for the ranch kettle, 36.75" in diameter.

The grate will utilize the ring frame and insert design of our smaller grates. Due to the size we split the grate into 6 sections. The ring will weigh about 29 lbs, each insert 6 lbs, for a total of around 65 lbs.
Pre Seasoned cast iron is a good grate material. The ring and insert design lets you leave the grate inside the grill, just move sections to dump and tend the coals.

Please visit our Kickstarter page and help me spread the word. The molds are huge, the quantity small, one grate with lifting handle costs 299$.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ranchgrate/ranch-kettle-cast-iron-grate

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ranch Kettle Cast Iron Grate
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
@craycort , I had this grate pop up on my facebook feed, Would love to have one but might need to sell off some kettles to afford it.. looks good, let me think about it.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »
   I don't have a ranch, but I wish you luck.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »
Love the concept - don't own a ranch.  :(
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
Interesting concept, but frankly I don't think there are enough ranches out there to facilitate 300 backers.  I do have a ranch, and if I needed a replacement grate, I would definitely consider this.  Best of luck though.  Looks fantastic.

jmiester

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »
What about the extra 65 pounds of weight on the plastic wheels?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

craycort

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 03:44:58 AM »
Its 130 backers to break even. I had quite a few inquiries, I had to test actual demand. Regarding the weight, when you subtract the weight of the standard grate its around 50lbs more. The wheels, walls and frame will hold it, the weight is evenly distributed, just 12lbs extra per wheel. Many ranch owners replace the wheels with larger and stronger wheels.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:51 AM »
Thanks for joining, @Craycort.

I hope to be a Ranch owner one day soon, but for now I’ll just say I really love your products.  I’ve noticed recently that you’re offering some of your grates with additional porcelain enameling, and I think that would be the way to go with the Ranch grates (,if possible).

Couple of questions, the $300 does not include shipping, correct?  And if you don’t reach the 130 backers, money will be returned?

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, where are these made?  I didn't see it listed on the Kickstarter or anywhere on Craycort's website.  I'm not bashing if they're made in China, but some transparency on OOM helps customers make informed buying decisions.

craycort

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »
The first 100 include shipping. The rings are cast by hand in fuzhou China, the inserts are cast on a disa automatic line in Guangzhou, across from HK airport. They also pre season. Enamel would only be an option for the inserts. The ring is too large, only fits the lower temperature pre season oven.

craycort

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:55 AM »
If the project doesnt meet its funding goal  all money will be returned.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
For anyone thinking the $299 price is too high, that is exactly what a replacement cooking grate from Weber will cost you for the Ranch.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold