Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The quarantined brisket flats  (Read 1535 times)

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
The quarantined brisket flats
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
Ok so I picked these things up a couple weeks ago on managers special, at frys. Set them out last night. Trimmed them up a bit ago, seasoned, and got the wsm I just picked up , going minion style. Now we just set and watch...will check it out in a bit, need to pick up a meat probe for this thing. Also this will be the first time I’ve ever used a wsm. Wish me luck, cause I usually ruin brisket. I read a bunch about if I should or should not put water in the water pot, I put like a gallon of sink water in it, my opinion is that it’s there for a reason....first cook will be cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
If you cook at low temps then the water pan is a must. 200-225 was all people knew  years past and the Wsm was designed with that low temp concept in mind. I’ve been using them for years and own all 3 sizes and 2 ) 22’s . I’ve played with every method from water , sand , empty bowl for heat shield , to running them like a drum with meat over the coals. Running like a drum is what I’ve found that works best for me with better tasting food and coal consumption. Play around with it and see what’s best for you. No matter how you run them their excellent cookers. 

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: The quarantined brisket flats
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »
Just took them off and wrapped them with foil. One is much thinner than the other. So the thick part in the smaller one was 160-165, the thicker one was around 145-153. I wrapped them and put them on and closed all vents half way. The temp gauge on top was at a steady 300, so I’m thinking it’s about 250 give or take at the meat rack.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
Hmm I put them only like 2-2.5 hours ago...they are already at 195 each...maybe it’s because it’s only a couple small flats? The temp gauge shows down to around 275, so I’m thinking 225-250 at the meat? I’ll check it a bit, take them off to rest them for about a hour at around 210 temp.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:26:36 PM by bbqking01 »

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »

Hmm I put them only like 2-2.5 hours ago...they are already at 195 each...maybe it’s because it’s only a couple small flats? The temp gauge shows down to around 275, so I’m thinking 225-250 at the meat? I’ll check it a bit, take them off to rest them for about a hour at around 210 temp.

I’ve never had any luck with the stock thermo being accurate. Always 50 plus off. I went with River Country and it has a calibration screw to set to your cooking grate. Using my smoke probe I matched the ambient temp and it’s dead on years later. Flats will cook very quick . Enjoy those briskets and mastering a new cooker.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
Well....I think it turned out....ok. [emoji16]

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:27:11 PM by bbqking01 »

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
They look delicious, nice job. I always put water in the WSM pan. When I get to the desired temp I can keep it at that temp for hours. When I haven’t used the pan the temp variations occur often. It’s harder to maintain the temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
Looks great bro

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »
Ok so I cut them and the one that I trimmed a lot of the fat off dried out really quickly? The other one still had a small piece of the point on the bottom...the smal point portion was mostly fatty, but I left it on and then cut it off. That flat stayed moist too. You can see three things cut in the pictures. I’m thinking it’s better to leave some of the fatty stuff on for moisture.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:08:48 AM by bbqking01 »

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
They look great with a nice smoke ring to boot!

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »

Ok so I cut them and the one that I trimmed a lot of the fat off dried out really quickly? The other one still had a small piece of the point on the bottom...the smal point portion was mostly fatty, but I left it on and then cut it off. That flat stayed moist too. You can see three things cut in the pictures. I’m thinking it’s better to leave some of the fatty stuff on for moisture.

I try to leave a 1/4 inch of fat for protection.

littlepigbarbeque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 06:48:51 PM »
They look like they turned out great!  I haven't used my WSM in a while.  I'm gonna have to dust it off this weekend...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 06:57:16 PM »
I got 4 rib racks the other day...I’m going to have to dust them and put them on dis thang!