Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition  (Read 6468 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 05:02:34 AM »
My favorite steaks are reverse seared and finished in a cast iron pan with butter spooned over it and finished with coarse sea salt. Cross marks are visually pleasing but an all out sear can’t be beat for flavor imo

Of coarse non of that matters if in a competition the judges are looking for perfect cross marks. Sometimes it seems what judges are looking for isn’t necessarily synonymous with the best tasting product.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »
M Grills

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
@dwnthehatch was the one you were looking at in NJ for about 140.00? If yes then I got it on Friday 3/27/2020.

Scott
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:16 PM »
Just an update. I went with a PK grill. I waited too long and the char-q sold. Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Was the one you were looking at in NJ for 140.00 because I got that one on Friday 3/27/2020?!

Scott
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
Just an update. I went with a PK grill. I waited too long and the char-q sold. Thanks for the help everyone!

Was the one you were looking at in NJ for 140.00 because I got that one on Friday 3/27/2020?!

Scott

No, it was in PA. Congrats!

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »

I was going to say a lot about the Char-q, but basically, I am not impressed. main issue is you can only get 1 layer of coals under the grate, really close to the cooking great but you don't get the intense heat to do a great sear.  Good choice with the PK.

After first use I can say this grill gets hot and gets hot fast, the owners manual says 50 briqs is good for direct high heat more like 30 to 40 for high heat and 25 to 30 for mid to high heat. With 50 in my diy basket not theirs with the grill grates in-700* center to a low 625* on both ends.

This should make a great chicken and steak grilling machine and the pork chops I did yesterday came out super with just Pit Barrel Cooker All Purpose Rub. Photos from start to finish on next cook.

Scott

Garvinque

• WKC Brave

Garvinque

• WKC Brave

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 02:40:05 PM »
I finally found a char-q about 1.5 hours away. I have to give it a quick clean-up and will do a side by side against my PK original.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
I have GrillGrates on my gasser and for the last couple of weeks have gone without them.   

Can't imagine them on the charcoal grill.

I have trouble with a steak with those sear marks.  Same goes with the sear from the Weber sear grates.   Way too much brown space that could have otherwise been crust.

I get that the SCA judges want them, but, just, no. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 04:08:45 AM »
I have GrillGrates on my gasser and for the last couple of weeks have gone without them.   

I have trouble with a steak with those sear marks.  Same goes with the sear from the Weber sear grates.   Way too much brown space that could have otherwise been crust.

I’ll take a grilled steak any day over an all over pan sear. The fat dripping on the coal creates that grilled flavor. So imo opinion there is more going on then purely Maillard reaction. There is a regional restaurant chain that really nails all aspects of the sear. Darker sear where grates are but still an all over sear. So best of both worlds. That’s what I’m after.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:11:23 AM by HoosierKettle »

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 04:13:36 AM »
Totally get that, but then I'd rather use the flat side of the GrillGrates and get the charcoal flavour still.  I just don't want spaced-out sear marks. 

I’ll take a grilled steak any day over an all over pan sear. The fat dripping on the coal creates that grilled flavor. So imo opinion there is more going on then purely Maillard reaction. There is a regional restaurant chain that really nails all aspects of the sear. Darker sear where grates are but still an all over sear. So best of both worlds. That’s what I’m after.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
And now there's a new contender to the SCA scene The Hastybake Nomad 250 SCA Pro. Im running out of room!  https://www.hastybake.com/products/nomad-250-pro-charcoal-grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »

And now there's a new contender to the SCA scene The Hastybake Nomad 250 SCA Pro. Im running out of room!  https://www.hastybake.com/products/nomad-250-pro-charcoal-grill

Wow!  That thing looks like an incredible cooker. I would love to have that just for normal use. Pretty tempting.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
wow
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill