Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition  (Read 6457 times)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:16:54 AM »
I gave up competition BBQ about 3 years ago so I could spend more time with my then newborn and 2 year old on the weekends. I'm starting to get the itch again. This time I'm thinking of getting into the Steak Cook-off competitions. Pretty much everyone uses a PK Grill. Does anyone with knowledge of the Char-Q know if it would fair well against a PK grill? Thanks!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »
You can use a Weber. I did a comparison last year between a PK and a 22. I used the same steaks, charcoal, Grill Grates, temps....and the steaks were exactly the same. You don’t need to worry about heat retention because you’re only cooking on the grill for 10-12 minutes for 2 steaks.

Just make sure you have Grill Grates and an IR thermometer to tell the temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Char-q vs PK grill for Steak Cookoff Competition
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 06:04:54 AM »
You mean nobody uses a charbroil gasser?  That’s weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
You can use a Weber. I did a comparison last year between a PK and a 22. I used the same steaks, charcoal, Grill Grates, temps....and the steaks were exactly the same. You don’t need to worry about heat retention because you’re only cooking on the grill for 10-12 minutes for 2 steaks.

Just make sure you have Grill Grates and an IR thermometer to tell the temp.

Thank you. I was also considering my WGA since I already have one, grill grates and the table that goes with it.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »
A question for the competition steak cook off crowd: Why do you folks insist on using grill grates? They are great for a gas grill but don't you think a charcoal sear is better? I would never think to use grill grates on a charcoal grill.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »
It doesn’t say you have to...but ask an SCA judge if they’ve ever seen a steak without cross marks on it. My guess is...they haven’t.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »
It all started with the Winn Dixie commercials in the 70s.....and I STILL love to see grill marks on my steaks!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »
A question for the competition steak cook off crowd: Why do you folks insist on using grill grates? They are great for a gas grill but don't you think a charcoal sear is better? I would never think to use grill grates on a charcoal grill.
You don’t have to use Grill Grates at a SCA and a few people have turned in a whole seared steak . My buddy Mark from Swinelife Bbq actually used The Beefer at one competition. Beefer is a 1500 degree salamander type grill and finished decent. If you want  to win you need to  have sear marks

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:58:57 AM by sonofabutcher »

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 01:53:05 AM »
I guess sear marks from grill grates look good. I think charcoal sear gives the best taste. No issue with grill grates I use them on the gas grill but I think it odd that people prefer to sear steak with them on charcoal grills. To each their own. A Beefer would be cool to have. Grill grates are like cooking on an aluminum grill pan with holes drilled in it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 06:42:07 AM »
You don’t have to use Grill Grates at a SCA and a few people have turned in a whole seared steak . My buddy Mark from Swinelife Bbq actually used The Beefer at one competition. Beefer is a 1500 degree salamander type grill and finished decent. If you want  to win you need to  have sear marks

This seems so backwards to me. Grill marks are only for show. You actually want to get a nice even sear/crust on your steak. Go to any fancy steakhouse like Jeff Ruby’s or Ruth’s Chris and you’ll have a nice charred steak to die for.

When you make diamond grill marks it looks cool but you are only getting a nice presentation IMO.

So, for a steak cooking competition, why would anyone not be evenly searing their steaks? That’s where the flavor is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 06:56:42 AM »

This seems so backwards to me. Grill marks are only for show. You actually want to get a nice even sear/crust on your steak. Go to any fancy steakhouse like Jeff Ruby’s or Ruth’s Chris and you’ll have a nice charred steak to die for.

When you make diamond grill marks it looks cool but you are only getting a nice presentation IMO.

So, for a steak cooking competition, why would anyone not be evenly searing their steaks? That’s where the flavor is.

You’re judged on different categories. Appearance, doneness, taste , texture, and overall impression . I feel like the sear marks help differentiate the appearance scores. For example , some get the grates too hot and the marks are burnt and others are just nice and black. Also if the steak has a lot of fat pockets in it that will mess up the marks from being uniform from end to end. It’s  easy to see if your marks are perfectly angled or straight depending if you went for diamonds or square pattern. Full sear is risky because of the char factor . These judges are trained and used to certain flavor profiles and texture and their only taking one bite.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »

You’re judged on different categories. Appearance, doneness, taste , texture, and overall impression . I feel like the sear marks help differentiate the appearance scores. For example , some get the grates too hot and the marks are burnt and others are just nice and black. Also if the steak has a lot of fat pockets in it that will mess up the marks from being uniform from end to end. It’s  easy to see if your marks are perfectly angled or straight depending if you went for diamonds or square pattern. Full sear is risky because of the char factor . These judges are trained and used to certain flavor profiles and texture and their only taking one bite.

My friends and I cook steaks frequently on our own and for friendly competition. There is way more to it than just the method of sear. Steaks done on a sear grate of some kind can be way better than an all over even sear and vice versa. If an even sear was so important than the best steak would be a cast iron pan sear over charcoal. Great even sear but not my favorite. I would take a steak grilled on grill grates over charcoal any day.

Then you have the quality of steak and the seasoning and preparation.

This idea that grill marks makes an inferior steak was perpetuated by sns and amazing ribs. Solid “science” behind it but the results don’t always agree imo.

My personal favorite is searing with a standard grate. You can get decent looking sear marks plus you get great searing between. Best of both worlds imo

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:47:50 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 08:29:43 AM »
Maillard reaction reading. It’s why perfect bark tastes so good. Does anyone throw their bark in the trash?

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/brown-beautiful-or-why-we-love-gbd-bark-crust

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 07:48:54 PM »
Just an update. I went with a PK grill. I waited too long and the char-q sold. Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 03:59:55 AM »
Just an update. I went with a PK grill. I waited too long and the char-q sold. Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I was going to say a lot about the Char-q, but basically, I am not impressed. main issue is you can only get 1 layer of coals under the grate, really close to the cooking great but you don't get the intense heat to do a great sear.  Good choice with the PK.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.