Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stock Plated Grates or Upgrade to Stainless - What say you?  (Read 1695 times)

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: Stock Plated Grates or Upgrade to Stainless - What say you?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 04:12:08 AM »
Killa Grilla SS cooking grates would be the way to go, for the daily griller. If you're on a budget, then stock Weber cooking grates are the way to go, for the moment. Remember, "Weberitis," can be VERY expensive!

Especially at the stage where you are buying on impulse.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 05:48:09 AM »
Killa Grilla SS cooking grates would be the way to go, for the daily griller. If you're on a budget, then stock Weber cooking grates are the way to go, for the moment. Remember, "Weberitis," can be VERY expensive!

Especially at the stage where you are buying on impulse.

Thanks for the insight!  Trying to make a good decision here and not buy on impulse.  It seems Killa Grilla does not combine shipping and buying 4 grates costs $65 to ship from one state away.  Not understanding that and have sent an email for clarification/confirmation.  It's looking like stock grates at this point for me.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 06:29:09 AM »
Slow n sear has free 2 day FedEx shipping. But I think that they only make a 22.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 06:45:10 AM »
Slow n sear has free 2 day FedEx shipping. But I think that they only make a 22.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I really like the Slow N Sear products I have.  Some have said that the SNS stainless grates are a bit flimsy for the price.  I'm looking for something that is a bit sturdier with larger diameter grate material which is why I would LOVE to have the KG offering.  If they come off the shipping I'll still consider them.  Plus this new 18 is the only 18 I have and really the more important of the two.  It will be going in my Woodard Cart that's currently out for sandblasting and powdercoating.  Ready for this project to come together....

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 06:52:51 AM »
The rods are thinner, but I would not say that they are flimsy. I have had mine 2 yrs. and have no complaints. I don't think they have 18" grates. So killa grilla might be the only option for you. Unless Weber makes one. I know that they used to have 26" and 22" ones. Maybe someone else here knows if they have an 18"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 07:12:53 AM »
I have both Weber and SnS SS grates and do not find either flimsy.   Certainly comparable to regular Weber hinged plated grates.   The SnS with the larger hinged section is my daily.   I do like the spin “feature” and should grind my Weber’s to do that. The KG would be really heavy to spin.

I’m in the camp that larger bars are not better cooking/taste performance and serve to create larger burned stripes on food. They do look nice though.  And for sure they are heavy duty, if my KG charcoal grate is any indication.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »
Went with the Killa Grilla SS top and bottom for the ‘69 22 and ‘73 18.  They will be awesome and thanks all for your input! 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »
I have stainless steel grates and I find that are much easier to clean than the nickel plate and do not rust. I would say if all you are doing is searing steaks the thin cheap nickel plate weber grates without the hinge work great, and since there is no hinge they easy spin also, No need to buy the other expensive brand easy spin grate. No reason you cannot have more than one grate.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
I have stainless steel grates and I find that are much easier to clean than the nickel plate and do not rust. I would say if all you are doing is searing steaks the thin cheap nickel plate weber grates without the hinge work great, and since there is no hinge they easy spin also, No need to buy the other expensive brand easy spin grate. No reason you cannot have more than one grate.

Good points!  I despise cleaning grates - plated was all I had until this upgrade most with some of the plating gone (where does it go?), so hoping these will be easier and healthier.  And I'm thinking less rods will be faster too......

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »

Good points!  I despise cleaning grates - plated was all I had until this upgrade most with some of the plating gone (where does it go?), so hoping these will be easier and healthier.  And I'm thinking less rods will be faster too......

KG is expensive and the shipping $ not helpful.  But believe me, you will think it is worth it when it is all said and done.  They are a small operation, not high volume production, which means higher costs.  But, the grate will last and the $ per day will be next to nothing in the end.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;