Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best stone choice?  (Read 15611 times)

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
Best stone choice?
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
Wondering what stone you guys are using? I had a $30 pizza stone from ACE hardware and and it broke. Using the kettle pizza at about 500 degrees is when it broke. Planned on going hotter my next cook so wondering what you guys have that hold up to the high, say 700 plus degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Best stone choice?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
This is the pricier option, but it works great.  If you are looking at bbqguys I think if you do some google searching you can find like 10% or $15 off 100 coupons or something.  I remember doing something like this and getting the price closer to $100.  It works great because it allows access to the back and side for your C shape of charcoal. 

https://www.bbqguys.com/kettlepizza/pro-grate-and-tombstone-kit-for-22-1-2-charcoal-kettle-grills
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:31:53 AM »
I’ll check it out, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »
That’s the setup I have, Stone is about 15” wide and 16” deep.  I also have the 1/4” stainless plate for the top which makes a huge difference.  Pics of the setup and basic setup which is 15” round.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
@bamakettles I was going to warn you about the plastic damper cover melting while using the kettlepizza then went back and saw it was you who posted it!  Sooooo Never mind...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:29:31 PM by jhagestad »
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
@bamakettles I was going to warn you about the plastic damper cover melting while using the kettlepizza then went back and saw it was you who posted it!  Sooooo Never mind...

Haha, yeah that was me playing with my birthday present last year.  The plastic piece is long gone and I'm back to hitting the damper with my spatula.  ; )

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:12:24 AM »

Haha, yeah that was me playing with my birthday present last year.  The plastic piece is long gone and I'm back to hitting the damper with my spatula.  ; )

But you did one heck of a job restoring what could have been a disaster!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 06:34:33 AM »

But you did one heck of a job restoring what could have been a disaster!

Thanks so much!  Amazing what automotive rubbing compound can do along with a LOT of elbow grease.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Just purchased the Lodge 14" Cast-Iron Pizza Pan and will report how the Pizza turned-out in the near future.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
A baking steel is another option....they are heavy as $*c&, but won't crack and hold the heat incredibly well.  I use one on the bottom and an aluminum pan on top as a heat deflector.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:31 AM »

I recommend a kiln shelf.
Got mine years ago after acquiring an inexpensive KettlePizza unit.
Never had any issues with it.

https://www.theceramicshop.com/store/category/33/120/kiln-shelves/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:46:53 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.