Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to Roast Coffee at Home on a (weber) Grill (sort of)  (Read 4690 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
How to Roast Coffee at Home on a (weber) Grill (sort of)
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
You won’t need much to roast coffee beans at home, but what you do need is rather specific. You’ll need a gas grill, as charcoal is very hard to get hot enough for roasting. It also has to be a grill that has a side burner.

Anybody going to try to prove the author wrong?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/20/how-to-roast-coffee-at-home-on-a-grill/

Photo from "Art of Manliness":

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to Roast Coffee at Home on a (weber) Grill (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:06:01 AM »
Someone commented on that site and said you can use charcoal without a problem. I really want to try this but don't want to invest in any equipment in fear that I would suck at it. The commentor also said you can use a frying pan. I'm tempted to just wing it and give it a whirl. I already ground my coffee and use a french press. I'd love it if I could roast a decent cup of coffee.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »
I have a friend who roasts his coffee in a cast-iron skillet on his stovetop.  And I met a guy who used his gas grill with a kind of mesh rotisserie to turn the beans in the main cooking chamber.  I don't remember him saying that he needed especially high heat, either. 

Unfortunately, I didn't taste my frying-pan friend's coffee, but the gas grill guy's stuff was first-rate. 
One of the charcoal people.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »
The article posted mentioned that for cooling, you want to use a baking sheet that you use just for that purpose as the flavor doesn't come off the sheet. I wonder if I'd have the same issue with cast-iron? Not sure how much I should believe the posted article as it is since I've already noticed a few holes in it.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
i have yet to see a gas grill that can get hotter than my charcoal.

i'm still not ready to try roasting coffee though.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
There's a guy on some other major BBQ forum that roasts his coffee on a Weber gasser.
He makes a huge pot at comps and shares with all comers.
Other than the coffee I had while in Bogota, it is hands down the best coffee I ever had.
It's just one more hobby I don't need.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
For the past year I have been roasting coffee using a $3.00 thrift store popcorn air popper and a thermapen for temp monitoring.  I see the advantage of a rotisserie roaster for large batches but I have always wondered about temp monitoring and the introduction of off flavors to the roast.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.