Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to get  (Read 6483 times)

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
What to get
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:02:37 AM »
This is the grill forum, so with my tax return I’m probably going to get a new grill. I’m thinking of a performer, or maybe a Smokey mountain. Possibly a pellet grill. I use my Weber kettle and gasser almost weekly, sometimes more. I might even get a newer gasser, as mine is beat up and works still. It has moved to like 3 houses and 2 storage stints. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What to get
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
Having a half dozen kettles of various age and size and a gas grill that I like, I too was looking for something different.  I researched pellet grills extensively, watched videos and was kinda interested, but could not get past the hair dryer sounds which may or may not be as loud as some videos depicted.  Also, I like controlling a fire and using different wood.  No room for a stick burner and I'd heard many good things about the WSM.  They are a little pricey when new, but cheaper than most pellet grills.  They also come bare bones with not many frills, so I wanted to do mods too.  So I found a used 22.5 for cheap - missing charcoal basket, water pan and lower heat shield for $50.  With the mods I did I came out right at the price of a brand new one but feel like I have an upgraded grill at a good price, less than half of a weber smoke/fire (wouldn't have gone there anyway).  Two cooks in and I like it a lot.  It cooks quietly without a whining fan or anything turning on and off and keeps temps rock solid with little required adjustments.  If I were to consider a pellet grill I'd look seriously at a Pellet Pro, Rec Tec or possibly a Camp Chef, but I doubt I ever will.  And as far as replacing my gasser, I've considered that, but I'd rather just keep it going.  I just replaced my burners and heat deflector bars and have invested in grillgrates.com grates a few years back and can't really beat it with any new gasser IMO.  Best of luck with the decision!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
What to get
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »
I’ve though of just getting new flavor bars and grates for my gasser...and burners, but I need the auto light thing too as my dog ripped it off. I’m not very mechanical, so I’m sure I could figure it out. How do you replace the burners?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:20:50 AM »
I’ve though of just getting new flavor bars and grates for my gasser...and burners, but I need the auto light thing too as my dog ripped it off. I’m not very mechanical, so I’m sure I could figure it out. How do you replace the burners?

My gasser is a...heh hmm.... Charbroil.  I know I know.......But it was a father's day gift many years ago and has some sentimental value.  Plus it really works well with the grillgrates.com grates.  The original grates lasted one season and became a rust fest.  Anyway, replacing the burners was very easy.  I ordered the ones to fit my model grill and just took the oldies out which were held in by cotter pins on one end and just slipped over the gas venturi on the control or feed end.  There was also a crossover bar between them that I replaced.  And the flavorizer or heat bars just lay over each burner.  My plan is to replace those with stainless fits all type available on Amazon.  The Charbroil heat deflectors are ceramic coated steel and tend to rust out over a couple of years.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
That’s a tough one but good suggestions from bamakettles.

I personally have no interest in pellet grills.

Some form of griddle would be nice either for kettle or stand alone.

Then there is upgrades to your general bbq area.

Options are endless.

I also wouldn’t mind a good quality drum smoker or offset.

I’m restricted by space for a lot of stuff I would like to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »
Let's see the Workhorse you Speak of! If she is beat up restore her to her former Beauty. Go all out and get the summit! I will sell mine except one to get one of these
This is the grill forum, so with my tax return I’m probably going to get a new grill. I’m thinking of a performer, or maybe a Smokey mountain. Possibly a pellet grill. I use my Weber kettle and gasser almost weekly, sometimes more. I might even get a newer gasser, as mine is beat up and works still. It has moved to like 3 houses and 2 storage stints. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Ryan  Andrew Moore

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Well hot diggity dog... grabbed this for 600.00 it’s clean and fired right up. Never been used. Some guy on offer up got it at an auction.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 05:59:56 AM »
Wow . That’s awesome !

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »
Please share your cooks on this.  Wanna see some success stories!  Congrats....

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
What to get
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 06:48:11 AM »
I knew those reminded me of something but couldn’t think of it. It’s shape reminds of those fuel oil tanks that are converted to smokers.

Looking forward to your cooks on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
What to get
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »
I’m excited. Only thing is, there have been quite a few bad reviews. Just talked to Weber, registered, and they sending my a hopper attachment, and a meat probe, all complementary. I’m just going to learn this bad boy, and hopefully be happy. Never used pellet grill before.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »
I've watched quite a few videos on the SmokeFire, latest being the last Harry Soo vid where he cooks two briskets, two pork shoulders and two beef rib slabs all at once.  The low and slow seemed to go well - much better than others have reported.  Might be a good video to watch if you're into that.  Seems to me the only issue could be leaving grease in the grill and going to 600F without cleaning it out first.  Heck I've had grease fires in my gasser a couple of times due to not cleaning out the grease properly.  Good luck and have fun with it.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »

Let's see the Workhorse you Speak of! If she is beat up restore her to her former Beauty. Go all out and get the summit! I will sell mine except one to get one of these

So here is the workhorse. The wife and I spent a couple hours today cleaning her up. She actually looks ok now.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
Well hot diggity dog... grabbed this for 600.00 it’s clean and fired right up. Never been used. Some guy on offer up got it at an auction.

I wonder what auction he used as I have seen several EX4s and a EX6 for sale in PHX area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app