Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Missing washers  (Read 2964 times)

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
Missing washers
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »
Glad I cleaned today on this. Missing  the washers where they are needed the most. One is starting to have a problem causing rust
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:51:57 AM by wildeagle »
Ryan  Andrew Moore

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
Re: Missing washers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »
Glad I took cleaned today on this. Missing probably the washers that are needed the most. One is starting to have a problem causing rust
Manual edit
Ryan  Andrew Moore

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:18:11 AM »
I replaced all my nuts, bolts and washers with stainless steel on the used one I just bought.  Looks nice on the outside too.....

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
Lol. I don’t blame anyone for replacing the stock hardware with stainless but it’s completely unnecessary. 

You don’t have to worry about hardware unless you plan on never using it and leaving it uncovered in the elements for years.

Here is my 20 year old grill. I don’t see it having a problem in my life time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 02:45:51 PM »
It’s the perfectionist in me for sure.  Mine was “used once” as the guy I bought it from said and had a lot of moisture in it causing rusty nuts and bolts as well as the grate holders.  I removed the rust on those with a wire wheel drill accessory.  I had to drill out two of the rusty bolts and never want to do that again, so stainless was the answer for me.  They’re now covered in brown oily smoke and rendered fat after two cooks!  Here are the grate holders during rust removal.  I just couldn’t leave any rust in there before using it.  I also worked on the grates for hours and now they’re cleaned and canola oiled after each use.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Missing washers
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
It’s the perfectionist in me for sure.  Mine was “used once” as the guy I bought it from said and had a lot of moisture in it causing rusty nuts and bolts as well as the grate holders.  I removed the rust on those with a wire wheel drill accessory.  I had to drill out two of the rusty bolts and never want to do that again, so stainless was the answer for me.  They’re now covered in brown oily smoke and rendered fat after two cooks!  Here are the grate holders during rust removal.  I just couldn’t leave any rust in there before using it.  I also worked on the grates for hours and now they’re cleaned and canola oiled after each use.

I’m the exception not the rule. Most people do replace with stainless. (Folks on here anyways)

Pretty incredible pictures!  I can’t believe it was rusting!  Must not have been used much. My cooker had a thick layer of seasoning that I stripped down and cleaned but it’s built back up with my own cooking.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:15:17 PM by HoosierKettle »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Yep, anything that appears to be in the vicinity of rust gets a good canola oil spray....

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 06:56:04 AM »
I bought all the stainless steel srews, washers , & nuts yesterday I just have to swap out.    Doing another project that I'm stuck on at the moment. Waiting for parts to arrive.  That is next unless I finally find the Happy Cooker stuff I search for then its after that.
I replaced all my nuts, bolts and washers with stainless steel on the used one I just bought.  Looks nice on the outside too.....

Ryan  Andrew Moore

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »
in my case I am missing actual pieces that were never put on . The only time I have ever really use stainless steel was when I rebuilt and remodified a couple of smokers that I mostly use. I'm pretty sure it is an authorized method when replacing vents or handles your supposed to use?
Lol. I don’t blame anyone for replacing the stock hardware with stainless but it’s completely unnecessary. 

You don’t have to worry about hardware unless you plan on never using it and leaving it uncovered in the elements for years.

Here is my 20 year old grill. I don’t see it having a problem in my life time.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:18:51 AM by wildeagle »
Ryan  Andrew Moore

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »

I bought all the stainless steel srews, washers , & nuts yesterday I just have to swap out.    Doing another project that I'm stuck on at the moment. Waiting for parts to arrive.  That is next unless I finally find the Happy Cooker stuff I search for then its after that.

Fun project, you’ll be glad you did this.  BTW, thanks to your other thread I learned that mine is a 2016.  Thanks!