Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: lump or briquettes  (Read 1665 times)

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
lump or briquettes
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:15:49 AM »
So I am new to using a weber kettle and I have used mine twice so far with royal oak lump charcoal. I just ordered the charcoal baskets so the first two cooks I just stacked the charcoal against the side of the kettle to get two zones going. My question is, is it okay to put lump charcoal on the side of the grill like that? Or do I risk it cracking or messing something up. I was also grilling in 30 degree weather so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Has anyone ever had any problems using lump charcoal like that before? I assumed that it would be perfectly fine but I recently read a forum where someones was cracked and the warranty didn't cover it. Thanks!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
lump or briquettes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 06:20:18 AM »
When you say cracked, are you talking about the bottom kettle? I’ve never heard of the bottom part cracking. I’ve had kettles for years and have never seen a cracked one. I suppose it could, but would maybe take extreme temp changes rather quickly, as for lump or briquettes, I don’t have a strong opinion either way. I have always used briquettes, I’m able to gauge temp and time with them. I’m sure using lump one could do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:25:18 AM by bbqking01 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: lump or briquettes
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:29:55 AM »
He might be taking about the bowl crazing which can happen without using baskets.

My advice, use baskets for your cooks unless you run a snake for low and slow. Also, careful with lump charcoal. It can fall through the coal grate and then bind up the ash sweeps when you try to use them.

If you stick with lump, go buy another coal grate and run with two of them in a perpendicular configuration. This will help keep the small pieces of lump from falling down into the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »
The lower bowl is what I was concerned with, and the lump did fall through the bottom grate into the ash catcher. Luckily I have the baskets coming in today so it will no longer be an issue. I was unaware of what could have happened without them and didn’t want any long or short term damage. Thank you for the input!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
I have no baskets and use lump piled on the side with no adverse affects.

The porcelain coating is cooked on at higher temps than you will get from lump charcoal...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »

The porcelain coating is cooked on at higher temps than you will get from lump charcoal...

Me too. I’ve banked for years and years with no problem in my black kettles. I don’t bank against the walls of my vintage kettles to be on the safe side though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »

Me too. I’ve banked for years and years with no problem in my black kettles. I don’t bank against the walls of my vintage kettles to be on the safe side though.

I can understand that...
I have nothing vintage to worry about.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »

I use both lump and briquets.
However, I probably use lump about 75% the time. Maybe more...

I hated all of the smaller pieces falling thru and messing with the sweeper blades.

So, I decided to make some baskets of various sizes using EM (expanded metal).

If you're handy, I highly recommend these.
And, if you're not so handy, I recommend a piece of EM on top of the charcoal grate.
It will make using lump much more enjoyable, and it's not expensive. Very easy to do.

Be sure to use gloves when working with EM. It will cut you like a razor blade.

IMG_1528.jpg" border="0

This one is the same diameter as a SJ charcoal grate.
I call it the polar vortex...

EF445C3D-A498-4B00-A2E9-09E9F0B454B6.jpg" border="0

This one is half a charcoal grate for a 22" kettle.

104806F4-A70F-4FCF-90CA-8A62DA6BFEF8.jpg" border="0

113F935A-4EA8-45AF-AC2C-5F208D2A7684.jpg" border="0

This one is the same size as a Weber basket, only a bit taller.

F7C6073D-1A5A-4A00-BFA9-F45D262BDDCD.jpg" border="0

20D31B47-80C9-4D0B-A192-EB7F29EDB84B.jpg" border="0

9108D127-CEB8-4D71-9146-BC58AC2D1CA7.jpg" border="0

And, a couple years ago, I repurposed a beat-up 22" kettle.
I cut a ring out of the bowl, then proceeded to make various shaped and sized baskets.

IMG_8019.jpg" border="0

Image-4.jpg" border="0

Image-3.jpg" border="0

Image.jpg" border="0

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »
I’m a fan of baskets.... keeps things in place and away from the porcelain.... lump or briquettes, no difference IMO.  Have fun!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:06:25 AM »
I've been using Weber kettles since the 70's, and never used a basket. Never had any issues with coals hurting the porcelain. As was said earlier, the porcelain was installed at a MUCH higher temp than you'll ever cook with. As for briquets vs lump... I use both.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 06:47:30 AM »
@MacEggs Love the mods - thanks for sharing! I've got a franken-mod bigger basket with the EM bottom - works like a charm in preserving unused charcoal.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 09:53:26 AM »
+1 on the EM over the grate!

I have tried two types of baskets and frankly don't like them.  Especially with briquettes, the coals can smother in ash.  I use lump 100% now but am still learning, especially low and slow.

tvt

• Smokey Joe
lump or briquettes
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »
A top grate from a smokey joe fits perfectly on top of the charcoal grate for a 22

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
If you constantly bank coals (either lump or briquettes) against the side of the bowl,  after time you risk crazing the bowl and having it lose the porcelain and the metal starting to rust. I've had this happen before. It took about 4 yrs and Weber replaced the bowl under warranty.  Now, having said that, most of my cooks were high heat rather than low smoking heat, and the bbq was used at least once a week, often more. Now, lump tends to burn hotter than briquettes, but in the long term I don't think it makes to much difference.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
lump or briquettes
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »
If you constantly bank coals (either lump or briquettes) against the side of the bowl,  after time you risk crazing the bowl and having it lose the porcelain and the metal starting to rust. I've had this happen before. It took about 4 yrs and Weber replaced the bowl under warranty.  Now, having said that, most of my cooks were high heat rather than low smoking heat, and the bbq was used at least once a week, often more. Now, lump tends to burn hotter than briquettes, but in the long term I don't think it makes to much difference.

Was it a black kettle?  I’ve banked for way longer than that and mostly high heat and no crazing at all in my ten year old kettles. Only used two primarily but have done a ton of cooking in both.

I’ve tried. I can’t get them to craze.