Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SCORED a blue & a red lantern, etc. (Old Heavy Brass Ship Lights)  (Read 1988 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Not Webers, but still 6 quite nice lamps, plus a porthole that looks like it might be from a Cris Craft.  (There is another wall sconce not depicted, but identical to another in the pics).

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:26:40 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: SCORED a blue & a red lantern, etc. (Old Heavy Brass Ship Lights)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:41:20 AM »
Nice
Dude, relax your chicken.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
Those are awesome! My dad worked for the railroad for 30 years and used to have some original oil lanterns for when the guy in the caboose could signal to the engineer all clear (or whatever they needed to communicate). My mom still has a few around the house - you'd never notice them casually, but once you see one, you can't help but see em all!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »
Thanks @dazzo

@jhagestad -I bought this old kerosene railroad one maybe 2 years ago.  Porcelain coated & I pretty much STOLE it from the Salvation Army for about $13, or so.  I was so damn startled when I saw it, I thought it was fake.  More startled when I saw how little they wanted for it (they even had it behind the counter where you had to ask to see it).

You can stand it up, there is a hole in the bottom for putting it on a post or a pole, you can hold it by the handle or hang it by the handle.  It is nearly immaculate & some of original stickers on I think 3 of 4 lenses.  No evidence of actual use when I bought it, so someone either cleaned it up super well & put a new wick in it, or it was never used. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:57:26 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:01:21 AM »
Make sure your mom knows the RR stuff is usually worth money, especially if it is marked with a particular railroad. 

Those are awesome! My dad worked for the railroad for 30 years and used to have some original oil lanterns for when the guy in the caboose could signal to the engineer all clear (or whatever they needed to communicate). My mom still has a few around the house - you'd never notice them casually, but once you see one, you can't help but see em all!
regards,
Hal

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »
Those are really cool..... Would look grate in my home office!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
I'm always open to discussing possible trades or even an outright sale. 

I wasn't actually looking for something like this, just stumbled across them on Marketplace & knew I could make some cash flipping them.  I might keep a couple, but don't have my heart any of them. 

I do like my railroad one, but it is in such nice condition, I don't think I'm comfortable using it the way I'd want.  I'd almost like to find someone who had one in less nice condition who'd do a trade with a cash kicker so I wouldn't feel guilty just using it on my patio, during night cooks, leaving it out for weeks at a time, accidentally knocking it over, etc.

Those are really cool..... Would look grate in my home office!
regards,
Hal

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
Make sure your mom knows the RR stuff is usually worth money, especially if it is marked with a particular railroad. 

Great minds think alike - my dad had a list of everything he had that was historical and let my mom and me know where it was in case he passed away before he could do anything with them (which, unfortunately, was sooner than we all expected). My mom donated several to the Illinois Railway Museum, my brothers and I took one each, and the others are displayed in my mom's townhouse. My guess is that when my mom passes away, we'll see if the grandkids are interested in keeping any, then look to sell them at a below market price to those who might be interested in them, then, lastly, donate whatever we have left to the railway museum.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again