Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 AT A Time  (Read 564 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
2 AT A Time
« on: February 16, 2020, 12:43:15 PM »
For the first time I need to light and Grill on Two(2) Weber 22" Kettles in order to cook some thick Pork Chops/Steaks for around twenty(20) People. I have both the large and small Weber Chimenys, so, what is the best way to maintain the proper temperature on both Kettles for around three(3) hours?

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Re: 2 AT A Time
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:37:17 AM »
I would set them both up for 2 zone indirect cooking. If the proteins are thick then reverse sear would be a good method. Light a chimney and dump 1/2 in each and slowly bring the meat up to temp. When the meat gets 90 ish degrees light another chimney to add more hot coals for the sear. What ever final doneness you’re  shooting for pull the meat 10 degrees before and let rest for 10 minutes then sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2 AT A Time
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »
Have you cooked for this many people at once before? @sonofabutcher is spot on with how I would set up the grills, but if it's just you, it's easy to get frazzled once you start having to time pulling off the meat to rest and then the various sears while managing new coals and meat temps. I've only cooked for this many people at once three times, and any advance planning you can do - do it.  Set up a comfortable work space with tongs, probes, timers, foil, platters, garlic butter, etc. - whatever you think you'll need when you start because once you start pulling, resting and searing the meat, things move very quickly.  I also found it helpful to sort the meats on the kettles by doneness requests - in my case, most of my requests were medium rare, so I could rest/sear those while the mediums were still coming up to temp. Don't focus on being perfect - your goal is getting the meats into a reasonable temp range.  Lastly: have fun and know it's gonna be controlled chaos for a bit! Have someone take pictures of everything! Good luck!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again