Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time ever making wings.  (Read 1063 times)

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
First time ever making wings.
« on: February 16, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
Longtime wing fan, but have never tried cooking them. My wife won’t eat them and I hate cooking for one, so that’s probably why. Anyway, picked up a pack of wings today at my local grocery and broke them down. Made a rub based off the “starter rub” from How to BBQ Right (they did an episode with a spice packager). My changes include making it salt-free (don’t worry, I’m not an anti-salt nutjob, I just salt my food directly ahead of time), replacing half the sugar with light brown sugar, and replacing the cayenne with chile de arbol.

Got my kettle set up with the charcoal baskets in the center; going to do a vortex ring style cook. Currently struggling to get the temps down. A full chimney of lump was probably too much, eh? Following Meathead’s advice, I’m shooting for 325º F on the indirect portion. My multi-probe thermometer had it a hundred degrees over that. I checked back the vents and it’s down to 385º as I type this. Gonna have to figure out those vent settings for future cooks but I haven’t had the time since I got the grill last week. That’s probably a summer project when I can sit outside with a beer. It’s a bit chilly in Chicago to be drinking outside right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: First time ever making wings.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:56:40 PM »
Throw them on. Don't worry about getting temps down. Let it rip. I use a full chimney of coals in my poortex. Flip after 30 minutes and pull 20 minutes later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:58:26 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »
I never shoot for a temp.
Wings are very forgiving.
Vents wide open with a small peice of hardwood over the coals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
With wing I never look at temp. Get that thing blazin hot and get em on there .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »
Yeah, those weren’t bad. Only did ten minutes per side before turning them constantly over direct heat for a bit. (That’s the Buffalo blasphemy recipe in his book.) There was still a good bit of chew to them, I imagine that would all crisp up as more fat renders if I let the next batch go longer indirect. Certainly not bad but room for improvement. Looking forward to my next batch, for sure /

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 02:46:26 AM »
They were edible and you learned a thing or two, I would say the cook was a success !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:59:51 AM »
Trust me . Once you get what works for you fingered out , you will be doing wings on the regular

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:22 AM »
They were edible and you learned a thing or two, I would say the cook was a success !!

It was definitely a success. Made for a delicious bachelor dinner.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:05:39 AM »
They look really tasty!  I haven't done wings on the grill in quite some time.  I'm a little spoiled by the air fryer at the moment for wings as a quick dinner.  Spring is coming!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 05:39:18 PM »
Don't overthink it...It;s just wings...

Fire up the grill and run the "lid temp' around 450.
Cook the wings indirect. Flip around 30 minutes (more or less) and take em off when they look right...

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 08:36:31 AM »
Those look delicious! I'm in your same boat - wife is not a wing fan. BUT.... the son is, so I'll have to give this one a shot one weekend! Thanks for sharing!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
First time ever making wings.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 06:34:19 AM »
My wife loves wing. I personally think she’s nuts, but wings are good, and I’ve done some on the Weber. I do not like crispy wings, and I do not like mushy. Right in the middle is perfect for me. As stated, wings are pretty easy, and very forgiving. Seems like you did well, congratulations,

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 04:22:32 AM »
I think you nailed it! Congrats!

When I do wings, I always use my Weber kettle with a screaming hot Vortex (skinny side up), and place the wings around the perimeter on the grate, flipping them as they cook. If you want an extra sear, at the end, flip them onto the center over the Vortex... not for long, and be sure you flip them!

Serve with your favorite sauce and chow down!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.