Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old 22" kettle bent lid  (Read 1361 times)

Tobystan2000

• Happy Cooker
Old 22" kettle bent lid
« on: February 16, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Picked up a 22" black kettle off of FB Marketplace for $30.  Has a slightly bent lid.  Any pointers on how to straighten it up?

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
Re: Old 22" kettle bent lid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
Upload pic

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

Tobystan2000

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »
Looks like kid set down on top and then squashed a bit.  Handle pushed in slightly as well as some small bends at the edge of the lid on both sides (not pictured here).

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Old 22" kettle bent lid
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 05:01:34 AM »
Beat it out with what you have, just use something round and forgiving. Not steel. I used a softball since it’s round and hit it with a large dead blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:37:09 AM »

You can pop the dent out using a rubber mallet.  One or two whacks on the inside of the lid at the handle welds and it will pop right out.  A lot of the dented lid handles are caused by folks dropping the lids.  Even when setting a lid on a soft surface like a lawn can cause the lid handle to dent inwards.  Dropping a lid on a lawn from a height of as little as 8" to 10" can cause the lid to slightly dent inwards around the lid handle.  I wonder why I know that?
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
For whatever reason, it seems like I've only had a problem doing this on older rare grills that will wind up popping a bit of porcelain when you try hit it with a rubber mallet (fortunately, on the inside for me).

Have yet to have ANY problem pounding out any of the "newer" common ones that I bought just for the accessories that came with it. 
regards,
Hal

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »
I would suggest heating it up good with a heat gun or lightly with a propane torch, then attempt to pop the dent out.  Warm metal moves easier.

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:31:30 AM »
Mine looks just like that after a strong gust of wind blew the lid off of the kettle and off of my 2d story deck.

I call it "patina".

It continues to give excellent service all these years later.