Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First used Smoke Fire?  (Read 13416 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »

Why would you buy a weber instead of a MAK, GMG, Yoder, Rec Tec, or even a Traeger? Those are all proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Or Grilla Grills my personal favorite.  I own 2 of them.  ;)

Lol I knew I forgot a few. Lots of good options these days for the pellet game.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
I love my Traeger. All this talk about the SF inspired me to fire it up again today. I really hope Weber gets the SmokeFire sorted out. It seems like hardware and software will be required to do so.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:19:27 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
I love my Traeger. All this talk about the SF inspired me to fire it up again today. I really hope Weber gets the SmokeFire sorted out. It seems like hardware and software will be required to do so.

That Traeger is awesome Lawrence
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Why would you buy a weber instead of a MAK, GMG, Yoder, Rec Tec, or even a Traeger? Those are all proven.

Grilla makes a fine pellet grill.  We used 2 Grilla’s for  a grilling class with Malcom Reed and Mark Williams couple weeks back. Smoked wings and grilled 2 ribeyes  with perfect grill marks you would swear came off charcoal. I prefer the Grilla over my traeger timberline 1300

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »

Grilla makes a fine pellet grill.  We used 2 Grilla’s for  a grilling class with Malcom Reed and Mark Williams couple weeks back. Smoked wings and grilled 2 ribeyes  with perfect grill marks you would swear came off charcoal. I prefer the Grilla over my traeger timberline 1300

I own the pre Alpha OG and the Chimp.  Love them.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »

I own the pre Alpha OG and the Chimp.  Love them.

That round Grilla is a sexy pellet grill. Do you use the pro mode or pid mode more?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »
That round Grilla is a sexy pellet grill. Do you use the pro mode or pid mode more?

I haven't tried the pro mode yet; it's been cold here in Chicago since I got it so I've just been using the PID. Will definitely be trying out the "more swing, more smoke" mode when it warms up a bit this spring & summer.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »

I haven't tried the pro mode yet; it's been cold here in Chicago since I got it so I've just been using the PID. Will definitely be trying out the "more swing, more smoke" mode when it warms up a bit this spring & summer.

For the chimp that has the alpha I prefer pro mode, little more swing but produces really good results.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
Just watched a couple videos on the smoke fire. I don’t know anything about pellet grills but the open design of this one looks like a nightmare for grease management and clean up. Definitely does not look easy or convenient.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
Just watched a couple videos on the smoke fire. I don’t know anything about pellet grills but the open design of this one looks like a nightmare for grease management and clean up. Definitely does not look easy or convenient.

Agreed.  I saw a few today and it's not looking good for this model.  One guy had a video of a ton of grease mixed with pellet ash that went on forever.  I would not like to deal with that!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
Disappointing news for sure. If you're late to the game, you better arrive with a superior product that does the brand proud. Everything I've read on this makes it seem like the issues are design-related, which is inexcusable, really.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »
Disappointing news for sure. If you're late to the game, you better arrive with a superior product that does the brand proud. Everything I've read on this makes it seem like the issues are design-related, which is inexcusable, really.

Your are spot on here, when I first saw it in the youtube pre-product release videos I thought the design was a "game changer" and thought that weber was going to take over the pellet community.  Having grease fires is not something to just brush off.  I hope they fix this, I love weber grills.  I also have my own personal favorite pellet manufacturer and in my back yard they can coexist nicely.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
I have a spider adapter and it works great. Doesn’t have any bells or whistles. The temp control goes in 50 degree steps.  But all and all for $200 it’s worth it!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »
I have a spider adapter and it works great. Doesn’t have any bells or whistles. The temp control goes in 50 degree steps.  But all and all for $200 it’s worth it!

talk to me about the flavor profile?  Charcoal v pellet

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
I’m still going to get mine kind of irritated it’s not here yet to be perfectly honest

Observation by me is they designed this as a grill first even when they did their demos they were grilling not smoking

The flare ups and fires are nothing I haven’t seen in my genesis

Also even though they say the design shouldn’t need drip trays or pans. I don’t want to clean that up anyway so I’m going to use something to catch those drippings anyway

Now maybe it’ll work better for me because I have other grills to fill the needs I need but maybe this goes to show that a one size fits all grill is more of a unicorn than we thought

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground