Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First used Smoke Fire?  (Read 13386 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
First used Smoke Fire?
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »
Well, at least it’s the first I’ve seen...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
Re: First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »
And 200$ under retail.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:08:34 PM by DaveG74 »
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »
Saw one at Lowe’s this weekend....flimsy and cheap was my impression.  I’d hoped for something much better.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:33 AM »
According to many YouTube videos and reports from a friend (California) I stoped my preorder today.
I appears to be a disaster.
Looks like no smoke fire out there works properly.

Best regards,
Jan

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »
I’ll be honest and say that I haven’t really followed the SmokeFire that closely as I think that Weber’s current product development over emphasizes, aesthetics, and cost reduction over long term durability. With that said, I was curious why the SmokeFire has been having so many issues during the recent release. After some research, the firebox design of the SmokeFire is terrible. It seems like the grease has pools at the bottom of the firebox, then ignites on fire since it’s so close to the fire bowl! Traegers don’t have this problem as there is a completely separate grease tray that separates the fire from the drippings while evenly dispersing the heat Does Weber actually think that tiny fire heat shield is going to evenly heat up the inside of the grill? It’s like cooking on a gasser with only one burner/giant flavorizer and expecting the inside to be even temperature. Why do the louvered exhaust vents point downward the back of the barrel? Grease and condensation will just drip down the exterior! This all doesn’t make sense to me. Go buy a proven Traeger, Rec Tec, or similar grill and know and work around it’s limitations. It seems like the SmokeFire design is pandering to those that are familiar with gassers but the actual execution has missed its mark.

On a positive note, the grill is attractive looking and the short inclined auger and new school PID temp controller are interesting. 
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 04:25:28 AM »
Following this thread, interesting thoughts Lawrence.  I have to see one of these first hand.  Watching the initial release videos it seemed like a solid design but may be fools gold. 

and to Add to your list Lawrence"Go buy a proven Traeger, Rec Tec, or similar grill" like Grilla grills  my personal favorite.  :)  Most people on this forum won't give a rip about being a push button pitmaster but I am a convert, not that I will ever give up charcoal.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:48:33 AM »
Following this thread, interesting thoughts Lawrence.  I have to see one of these first hand.  Watching the initial release videos it seemed like a solid design but may be fools gold. 

and to Add to your list Lawrence"Go buy a proven Traeger, Rec Tec, or similar grill" like Grilla grills  my personal favorite.  :)  Most people on this forum won't give a rip about being a push button pitmaster but I am a convert, not that I will ever give up charcoal.

I doubt it is fools gold (at least not yet at this point), but unfortunately I don't think they worked all of the kinks out and really should have spent some more time working on the app from what I have heard.  It probably also doesn't help a lot that a few of the first arrivals are happening in winter where performance isn't going to be ideal.  Hopefully, they will get everything worked out in the next few months and take care of the people who took the early leap of faith. 

If they don't get things worked out they might just ruin a lot of the buzz they had going and make others who were interested just forget about future iterations that might be greatly improved.  I don't currently have a pellet grill, but if they got it together who knows I might be in the market in a few years.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:59:37 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
I'd be more inclined to try the Spider Grills adapter with a kettle.  Not a bad price and I'm seeing some good reviews on long cooks now using it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:04:26 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:18:20 AM by HoosierKettle »

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
I had high hopes for this, and after watching some Youtube videos I'm super bummed that things seem to not be going well.  I have a friend who has a Rec-Tec, and I have to be honest, I love it...Love the look, love the convenience of their ap, and the BBQ he's made on it has been good. I was hoping the Smoke Fire would equal, if not surpass it...I was even saving up for one.  But for now, I'm going to just stick with the 26er...I am truly hopeful the early kinks get worked out, and that Weber takes @pbe gummi bear comments about their current product development to heart.  This all reminds me a bit of the old adage, "Jack of all trades, master of none." 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
I may pursue a pellet grill down the road...maybe. I want to see if these initial failings are indeed product related or simply user related. It’s too soon to tell but so many instances are pointing more to the former than to the latter.

My original fear was that there were so many players in the pellet game already, the Weber pellet grill would have to be flat out amazing to compete in an already crowded market. Why would you buy a weber instead of a MAK, GMG, Yoder, Rec Tec, or even a Traeger? Those are all proven.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
Why would you buy a weber instead of a MAK, GMG, Yoder, Rec Tec, or even a Traeger? Those are all proven.

Or Grilla Grills my personal favorite.  I own 2 of them.  ;)
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
Why would you buy a weber instead of a MAK, GMG, Yoder, Rec Tec, or even a Traeger? Those are all proven.

I got an Alpha OG back last Halloween and love it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »
Lawrence shared with me a  series of videos but a guy on youtube named Tony Ngo.  Whoa, I am trying to see where he is screwing up and I can't.  When I initially saw the design I thought it was a game changer, now not so sure.  to be continued

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »

I got an Alpha OG back last Halloween and love it.