Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Kettle Owner from Chicago  (Read 1334 times)

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
New Kettle Owner from Chicago
« on: February 11, 2020, 04:43:20 AM »
I’ve been cooking and grilling all my life. Growing up my folks had a Weber gas grill, one of those ones with lava rocks in the bottom. I’ve had a Weber Spirit gas grill myself for the last ten years (as a renter in Chicago landlords wouldn’t let me have a charcoal grill). I bought a condo last year and this fall upgraded to a pellet smoker (Grilla OG) and charcoal grill (Char-Griller Akorn Kamado). The Akorn’s a good grill but it’s really a smoker and doing two-zone cooking on it wasn’t going to happen. The firebox is too small and too far from the cooking grates. After thinking about how well that Spirit has held up, I decided a Weber kettle was my best bet for a charcoal grill. When I won some money on squares at a Super Bowl party, well, I had the cash in hand, y‘know? Went to Home Depot this weekend and picked up a Master Touch. Got it built and burned in yesterday. First cook was thick cut pork chops seared with garlic butter over direct heat then glazed with an Irish whiskey bbq sauce on indirect. Turned out great. I’m looking forward to many more good meals with this grill.

Stumbled on a reference to the Weber Kettle Club while watching some YouTube videos on the differences between the various models. Figured that since I own one now, I should give it a whirl. The history of the various models is pretty interesting. Looking forward to learning more!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Kettle Owner from Chicago
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 05:12:33 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga lots of info and fun here
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New Kettle Owner from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 05:15:56 AM »
Welcome from Indianapolis. Those pork chops sound great. First thing I would do is pick up a standard Weber flip grate without the gourmet bbq system hole. Both have their purpose but a normal grate is much nicer when not using any accessories in the gourmet grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 05:36:24 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville AL!  Lots of grate info here and friendly folks to learn from.  Have fun......

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:42 AM »
That's not a bad suggestion, HoosierKettle. I did pick up a second charcoal grate after doing a bit of browsing on Amazing Ribs. The GBS is nice but those center lines are gonna look weird on a sear, for sure. Then again, my pellet grill has a 22" grate so I should be able to swap in a standard fixed grate (not the hinged one) and the fancy Grill Grates I got when I was hoping a pellet grill would do everything I wanted in a single package.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 09:24:09 AM »

That's not a bad suggestion, HoosierKettle. I did pick up a second charcoal grate after doing a bit of browsing on Amazing Ribs. The GBS is nice but those center lines are gonna look weird on a sear, for sure. Then again, my pellet grill has a 22" grate so I should be able to swap in a standard fixed grate (not the hinged one) and the fancy Grill Grates I got when I was hoping a pellet grill would do everything I wanted in a single package.

It’s not a huge deal but it’s annoying when the center section falls out when hanging the grate and I also don’t like the interruption in the middle when sliding a spatula tongs or scraper across the grate.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Welcome from Highland Park, Illinois! Lots to share and learn from this commune.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Welcome to the addiction.   Enjoy!!   You may want to look into a rotisserie

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:01:48 PM »
I’ve been thinking of getting the Arteflame griddle insert for making baller breakfasts and smash burgers. It would make for quite the centerpiece during an early morning bike ride I do each year that’s followed by an all day barbecue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:56 PM »
Welcome from the NW side, right near O'hare.
regards,
Hal

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
Rock on! I’m in Albany Park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Welcome to the Wkc from the northwest suburbs. [emoji2321]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:17:46 PM »
Welcome form rural NSW Australia. Your gunna love this place

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club