Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Combination BBQ timer & light for night cooking  (Read 822 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Combination BBQ timer & light for night cooking
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:55:59 PM »
I get a kick out of older lamps.  The majority of lamps in my house are vintage.  Among other things, I have a number of ceramic lamps with drip glazes, including one in a brown that reminds me a bit of my brownies. 

Here is my combination BBQ timer & light for night cooking.  If you put a nickel in it, you get 60 minutes of light.  I actually keep it in the guest room, but I do keep some nickels near it.  It also has a standard switch on the socket, so you can turn it off that way-but you still need a nickel to turn it on.

If memory serves, it is a Duncan parking meter & the company used to make these lamps from their old meters.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Combination BBQ timer & light for night cooking
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »
Here is another Duncan meter lamp that I also have in the guest bedroom, but this one was made from an old electric meter.  When the light is on, the meter does turn showing the electricity used.
If you put an LED bulb in it, it is less entertaining because it moves even slower.  For whatever reason, I seem to get away with some things in the guest room that I suspect she wouldn't want in some other parts of the house.  Probably because I often use it as a home office too. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:09:42 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:30:15 AM »
Those are cool !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:58:32 AM »
Thanks Joe.  Of my old lamps, they really are my favorites.  I found the one that is made from an old electricity meter pretty cheap to boot, maybe $15 or so.  Never seen one like that before.  I found it after finding the parking meter one.  It looked professionally made & I guessed that using it would cause the dials to move, but didn't want to ask the seller as that might have caused him to raise the price or suddenly decide he didn't want to sell it.  I figured, even if it didn't move, just the look of it was worth at least what he asked, to me anyway.

The parking meter one was more expensive.  As a kid, I had seen one made out of a parking meter, but I'm pretty certain it worked without using coins & looked like the guy who owned it (who worked for the city), made it himself from an old parking meter.  But, I wasn't aware the company actually made them too until I ran across that one, bought it, & did some research on it.

[/quote]
Those are cool !!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:03:12 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
Got this sweet thang from my grandmothers  basement when we were cleaning out the house when she passed.... everyone wanted to pitch it . HELL no Iv hung into this thing for about 8 years . And she’s in my man cave now... everyone thinks it’s ugly . I think it’s bad ass !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »
Sometimes, ugly is bad ass.  That is cool, but I wouldn't call it ugly.  It is unsual & different.  I have a friend whose parents had two Asian looking figures that are lamps.  They were in the basement & I said, save those.  They probably aren't worth a boatload or anything, but they are definitely worth something because they are interesting looking.

Got this sweet thang from my grandmothers  basement when we were cleaning out the house when she passed.... everyone wanted to pitch it . HELL no Iv hung into this thing for about 8 years . And she’s in my man cave now... everyone thinks it’s ugly . I think it’s bad ass !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
I was tempted by this floor lamp on the marketplace.  Not vintage, but allegedly was custom made.  I thought it was interesting, but don't really know where I could have put it.
regards,
Hal