Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber at CES this year  (Read 1830 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber at CES this year
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
I thought of one other really important use for the remote thermometer. Jerky making in the wsm. Who wants to stand outside and monitor temps for 6 hrs or more when it is single digit temps? Not me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber at CES this year
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 06:20:03 AM »

I know some folks need hand holding when it comes to grilling, but sheesh..... I can't help but think this stems from all those participation trophies we hand out to kids year after year....

Yes, we know...you voiced this opinion in the thread a couple of weeks ago.  Weber is trying to cater to all grillers, not just the nuts who have 10 or more grills and don’t go to steak houses or bbq joints because “their food is better.”  They are looking to help out everyone, from the casual once a month to the hardcore smoker who is looking for something to monitor temps because they are doing overnights on different cuts of meat.  From the people just starting out who might benefit from the guides to those of us who don’t need the guides and will be buying it for the convenience of being able to monitor temps while we are inside or maybe have to run an errand while a pork butt is on the smoker. Yes, you are right some folks might need a little hand holding when they are starting out, but what is wrong with that?  Not sure where your correlation of participation trophies (which I am against)and this wireless hub and app is coming from?  Participation trophies prevent the overly sensative from getting their feelings hurt, this is to try and help grillers get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

You're taking my comment way too seriously my friend.  I simply found it funny that this product takes the step-by-step stuff to a granular level like this.  The participation trophies comment stemmed from my belief that a younger generation (generally speaking, one that isn't used to dealing with disappointment and failure) would find the super granular step-by-step feature useful since it sets them up to expect perfection if they follow the step-by-step commands. I fully understand Weber's desire to enter into the "set it and forget it" market, but I can't help but think that this product will, inadvertently, be giving beginners unreasonable expectations with kettle cooking. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll be the first one to admit it if I am. Cheers!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again