Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Photo added to 1st post Welding blanket over lid for insulation?  (Read 2313 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
First time Kettle owner/user here.
Having several years experience with offset wood fired smoker use, I learned early-on that the popular use of a felt welding blanket outside and over the closed food chamber worked wonders for me in retaining heat and promoting a long and even inside temp. I sold the offset but retained the somewhat stretched-from-use blanket. I used the lid as a template and cut the remaining blanket into a circle with cutouts for the lid vent handle and factory thermometer. The blanket does not extend below the lid's lower edge. It just comes about to it so the blanket wouldn't get pinched between lid and lower kettle. I've not used it nor have I yet done a new grill burn-in yet.
 My offset was a heavy steel OK Joe Highland. My Weber Premium Kettle is of course a different species. Anyone here ever used the same insulation technique over the outside of their kettle lid as I'm contemplating? How did it go?
  One thing I've wondered is about "The Law of Unintended Consequences" popping up and maybe raising the inside heat too high for the coating on or coloration of the lid during use and causing damage. Or other unforeseen results from insulating the lid. There's no cost involved here as I have the blanket left over with no other use anticipated.
I wasn't able to find any results when using the search feature here.
Thanks. Don.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:27:46 PM by Tallbald »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
As long as you don’t cover the dampers, welding blankets can be quite helpful.  If you find the temp getting too hot you just adjust the dampers accordingly.  I use one on my 26” whenever I’m going low & slow on colder, windy days.  Use one anytime it’s windy with my WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
My wife won't even let me have a blanket for the bed in the winter much less one for a grill LOL good info to know, never thought of that idea
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
My wife won't even let me have a blanket for the bed in the winter much less one for a grill LOL good info to know, never thought of that idea

OMG, I’m not the only one???   De’s been stealing the blanket and leaving me with just a sheet lately...and she still has her side set to the highest temp setting.  Maybe I need to bring that welding blanket in the house.  My side of the bed will smell delicious for once[emoji23]

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Thanks for the input. During colder weather here in Southern KY (yes, it DOES get cold in the South), I had to struggle to keep food chamber temps on my offset smoker above 200 degrees F until I learned of the felt welding blanket addition. I weighted mine for the offset with strips of wood screwed together as "clamps" at the lower edges front and back, but that would be difficult with a round shape covering my Kettle. As an example though, the food chamber could be 275 degrees internally while the felt welding blanket over mine was just really warm. This approach on my Kettle won't be as easy as the barrel shaped offset because I suspect a strong breeze will move the blanket on on the kettle, possibly unintentionally covering the vent and smothering the burn. But a still wind day should be fine.....I hope.. Thanks again. Don
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:02:19 PM by Tallbald »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
When you wrap around the kettle, use some 4”-6” spring clamps.  Magnetic or non-magnetic ones will work.  Pull the blanket tight just above where the lid starts to curve and clamp the flaps together.  The opening in the blanket will be smaller diameter than the kettle, and will basically hang there.  Then one clamp at the middle & bottom to keep the blanket from exposing the kettle

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Kettles will hold adequate temps in cold weather just fine without assistance. I’m not in a particularly windswept are though. I’ve easily smoked / grilled in breezy 17 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
The problem is getting them from the grill to the house and keeping the meat warm

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Re: Photo added to 1st post Welding blanket over lid for insulation?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
I did my first burn today, trying out the charcoal/wood slab basket I made for my offset wood smoker sold last week which funded my new Kettle. I've posted a couple photos in another thread here.
I  tried the leftover welding blanket I cut to fit yesterday. Made of some felt-like material it's about 3/8 inch thick. It does shed some so I wanted to assure it stays away from the junction between top and bottom. Goodness it sure had an effect on the Weber temp. After cruising along steadily at 350 degrees for nearly 25 minutes, I laid the trimmed blanket over the lid. Within 8 to 10 minutes the temperature according to the factory thermometer had shot up 75 degrees to 425 F. I had to close down the top vent to cool the copper beauty down.
I had thought that some large steel "Bulldog" office folder and paper clips ( the kind bought at Dollar Tree and Mighty Dollar for about 20 cents each) would clamp firmly at the edges around the blanket and provide some weight to resist breeze's efforts to relocate the blanket when I'm not looking. I see too that the idea of spring clips was suggested by a member here also. Thank you! Validation is a comforting thing to me!
I hope the blanket helps me maintain temps on cold fall and winter days while also conserving charcoal.
I really appreciate member's accepting my newbie questions as I work to learn the art of Weber kettles.
Don

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 03:41:03 AM »
Neat idea......but I've never needed extra heat retention in the coldest Chicago winter.

I may use some more coals, or a bit more time, but my Weber has never been significantly impacted by winter weather.

YMMV

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
It may be that over time I realize and decide the same thing. The small amount of charcoal that was needed to bring it up to temp in the Weber at the first burn was amazing. The blanket might be found to be more trouble than it's worth. I sure was great on my big offset smoker though. But at the cost of free, and no other use for the blanket I thought "Hey. Why not try and see".
Don.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 05:03:30 AM »
Neat idea......but I've never needed extra heat retention in the coldest Chicago winter.

I may use some more coals, or a bit more time, but my Weber has never been significantly impacted by winter weather.

YMMV

I'm with @Andyinlz here - the cold weather has never been so bad that I couldn't manage a cook for a few hours. Of course, I'm typically only cooking for me and/or my family, so the pressure isn't that great to get the meal completed at a specific time (I have more flexibility). But adding coals and dialing back the bottom and top vents always worked out fine for me.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 05:56:28 AM »
I could see how it would certainly conserve charcoal. It would be interesting to se how long banked coal or snake would last.