Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM sizes  (Read 17825 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Re: WSM sizes
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 06:05:17 AM »

I don’t use a wsm for smoking though. I do a lot of top rack no water pan cooking for items that need more than just a quick sear on each side.  Wings, whole chicken or chicken parts, sausages, etc.  I also love my rib hanger.

I

I have a WSM 18" Classic that I bought new in the year 2008, so, how do you set-up your WSM for the above type of cooking? How far-away is the lit charcoal for cooking chicken, Sausages, etc?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 10:41:41 AM »

I don’t use a wsm for smoking though. I do a lot of top rack no water pan cooking for items that need more than just a quick sear on each side.  Wings, whole chicken or chicken parts, sausages, etc.  I also love my rib hanger.

I

I have a WSM 18" Classic that I bought new in the year 2008, so, how do you set-up your WSM for the above type of cooking? How far-away is the lit charcoal for cooking chicken, Sausages, etc?

I just add a lit chimney to about a half full charcoal ring and I assemble the wsm and cook on the top rack with vents open no pan no middle rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 10:44:00 AM »

My 22 yesterday.  The 22 may be a little taller too, allowing you to cook more food or use a rib hanger.  I did a mod that adds a middle rack 5 inches below the top for a total of 3.  Here’s a few pics....pork loin on top, ribs below.  Had room for lots more....monitored temps for pit lower left, tenderloin top left and ribs top right.  My basket will run the cooker for 18 hours on a full load at 250F in 30 degree weather, so runtime could be longer than an 18, but not sure since I’ve never had an 18.  Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Did you make that charcoal basket?  Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
No, this is a custom made SS basket from Arborfab.  I really like having the center bar there to lift it out and the minion basket is separate - I dump about a half chimney in there and the rest of the coals slowly burn throughout the cook.  He also makes charcoal grates and rings out of the same material. 

http://arborfab.com/CharcoalAssemblyforWeberSmokeyMountainGrill22.5WSM