Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM sizes  (Read 17823 times)

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
WSM sizes
« on: January 31, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »
Do you guys find the 14.5 too small or adequate for most of your cooks?  Thinking about getting into the WSM world and want to get thoughts on the different size options.  Do most who own a 14.5 also own another size in the case of larger cooks?  Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sprinkler76

• Smokey Joe
Re: WSM sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »
I started with an 18 but quickly sold and bought a 22 because I have 4 kids with a big appetite. So a 22 works better for me. The size you need has to do with how much you want or need to cook. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »
It all depends on what you are cooking.
For a average size pork butt or two, a few pounds of cheese, a cubed pork belly for burnt ends, a half a dozen short ribs or a couple slabs of pork ribs I use my 14. If I am doing several slabs of ribs, 3 or so butts, a whole packer brisket I used to use the 18. But now almost all of my pork ribs are done on a vintage 26 or a more modern one.
Whole packer briskets are done on a modern 26". Pork butts are still done in the 18 if there are several or if they are extra large, plus I make homemade jerky in the 18" because I hang it through the grate with skewers and need the vertical real estate.

What are you looking to cook?
And for how many people?

They are all pretty useful. Can one do it all? Probably the 18", unless you need more space. Then the 22 is for you. I have the 14 and 18 and love them both.
I also have a vintage 26" and a modern 26" As many have said here before if I  could only have one grill it would be a modern 26". It can do it all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
Thanks to you both for the grate info.  My kids are still young and aren't big on anything smoked so short of bigger family gatherings I'd mostly just be doing cooks for my wife and I.  There's a 14 up for grabs for 50 bucks I might snag and see if I find I'm using it more than my kettles.  Thanks again fellas

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
$50 is a great price for a 14 if it is in decent shape.
I wouldn't hesitate buying one for that. They run around $200 new.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
I have both the 14"and 18" size WSMs.  I find the 14" is the perfect size for me, cooking for just my wife and I. This was a 7 lb pork butt.  As you can see it could easily handle a larger one. The 14" is a charcoal miser compared to the 18".  As Kneab said, $50 is a great price.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
I have both the 14"and 18" size WSMs.  I find the 14" is the perfect size for me, cooking for just my wife and I. This was a 7 lb pork butt.  As you can see it could easily handle a larger one. The 14" is a charcoal miser compared to the 18".  As Kneab said, $50 is a great price.

Hey Jim, I was just looking at your butt.
Just curious if you use water in your bowl? It looks like it is covered with foil. That's how I usually run mine also.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
Just curious if you use water in your bowl? It looks like it is covered with foil. That's how I usually run mine also.

Yes, I do use water in the bowl.  The foil makes cleaning up the left over water & grease mixture so easy. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Swordfish

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 06:15:25 AM »
When I was choosing on the size it was between the 18 and the 22".  When I saw the 22" at a store a decided it was too big for my situation.  It seemed larger than I could justify for the space it took up.  I opted for the 18" and really haven't had any regrets.  I think the 22" would cost a lot more to operate over the years compared to the 18".  I go through close to a dozen bags of fuel per season here in the NE and from what I read the 22" would be at least 50% more. 
I had a big gathering last summer for about 2 dozen adults and the 18" was fine handling Boston Butts and spare ribs.  A 22" would have been more convenient for that situation but it's not usual for me.
Usually I'm cooking for less than a dozen people so the 18" is perfect for a butt or a brisket and some ribs.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
I have an 18 and would prefer a 22 and I’m normally only cooking for my wife and I.

I don’t use a wsm for smoking though. I do a lot of top rack no water pan cooking for items that need more than just a quick sear on each side.  Wings, whole chicken or chicken parts, sausages, etc.  I also love my rib hanger.

I would hard pass on anything smaller than 18. If for nothing else than hanging ribs.

All my smoking is in a 26 and 22 kettle oddly enough. Just more convenient imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
WSM sizes
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:56:35 AM »
I have a Smokey joe converted to mini wsm and it works great but I never use it. Might come in handy for traveling if you do a lot of cooking on the road. Even then I would rather have an 18 kettle for more versatility.

But since you found one for 50 that would still be worth getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
See this recent thread for another discussion of the various WSM sizes http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=44102.0
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
WSM sizes
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 01:51:58 PM »
I have all 3 sizes and prefer the 22. Lot of times I use my 18 charcoal ring in my 22 and can get 2 long cooks out of one full ring of good quality lump. I never use my water pan and run it like a drum. Find that the fat dripping over the coals produce better flavored food and slows the burning of your coal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:54:57 PM by sonofabutcher »

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I may end up finding an 18 is necessary eventually but it sounds like at 50 bucks I might as well add the 14 to the herd for now.  Thanks again there is always so much knowledge to soak in here!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
WSM sizes
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
Keep your eyes peeled, deals for come along.  Been looking for a WSM 22.5 for a year and finally scored one today for $100 in really nice shape.  Wanted one that I could use my 22.5 kettle accessories on.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:37:49 PM by bamakettles »