Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fly Fishing Gear?  (Read 1198 times)

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
Fly Fishing Gear?
« on: January 30, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
Getting into fly fishing. Always wanted to learn and a rod/reel combo for Christmas which pushed me right into it. I took a private casting lesson and feel comfortable enough to jump in deeper with gear. I am looking for some input on waders. I know this is a Weber crowd, but I am sure we all have other interests. Trying to keep the costs down but I am fearful that cheap waders/boots would just wear out and only defer the costs of a quality set up to a little further down the road. I would be open to some used stuff if any of you guys have something you are passing along, size large and 11 boot. May be willing to trade some of my grills in my collection (brown 22 or red 18 mbh)

Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Fly Fishing Gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »
Getting into fly fishing. Always wanted to learn and a rod/reel combo for Christmas which pushed me right into it. I took a private casting lesson and feel comfortable enough to jump in deeper with gear. I am looking for some input on waders. I know this is a Weber crowd, but I am sure we all have other interests. Trying to keep the costs down but I am fearful that cheap waders/boots would just wear out and only defer the costs of a quality set up to a little further down the road. I would be open to some used stuff if any of you guys have something you are passing along, size large and 11 boot. May be willing to trade some of my grills in my collection (brown 22 or red 18 mbh)

Any advice is appreciated!

Just starting out dont get too crazy. I'm debating hoping into fly fishing also. I fish alot but have never tried fly fishing. What weight rod did you get? Id look at bass pro and cabelas for their budget flys, the usually have kits. Just to get in into it. And walmart has cheaper waders just to get your feet wet, literally lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 05:27:43 PM »
Yeah, I fish a lot too, but fly fishing always seemed too intimidating to me. The class cleared most stuff up, and I have read a few books already. I went out last weekend and put it all to test. No fish but lots of fun. I just found myself not being able to get my line right where I wanted it from shore, hence the desire for waders now!

I got a Redington 9' 6wt rod/reel. I am leaning towards their waders but was hoping someone with more knowledge could provide some input on past experiences.

I think I have caught the bug for sure. Can't see picking up my old spinner rod anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:05:15 AM »
Sounds like fun, Tami wants us to take up fly fishing, she is very intrigued by it all.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:19:08 AM »
Here is a picture from my last trip

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:44 AM »

Nice fish, is that your Rod in your left hand or are you happy to see the fish ?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »

Nice picture. You look so natural, ever consider modeling or acting?

Just kidding, never actually seen the movie. May have to check it out one day.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 04:20:11 AM »
I know the casting accuracy is 100% repetition to get right. 6at is a god all around weight. If I get into it I'm gonna get a 8/9 foot 5 at. I love light tackle fishing.
Yeah, I fish a lot too, but fly fishing always seemed too intimidating to me. The class cleared most stuff up, and I have read a few books already. I went out last weekend and put it all to test. No fish but lots of fun. I just found myself not being able to get my line right where I wanted it from shore, hence the desire for waders now!

I got a Redington 9' 6wt rod/reel. I am leaning towards their waders but was hoping someone with more knowledge could provide some input on past experiences.

I think I have caught the bug for sure. Can't see picking up my old spinner rod anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Fly Fishing Gear?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »
Fly fishing u I s a blast.  I got hook after going for stripers in maine.  I didn’t catch anything but it was super fun just casting.  I bought a $20 5wt set up off eBay and just tooled around local ponds, then bought a nicer 5wt rod and nice line, then wanted something bigger for largemouth and got an 8 ft 8wt TFO rod.  It’s so much fun.

You can go crazy spending money, but it probably won’t help you catch fish.  Just get something and get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 10:23:44 PM »
Striper fishing on the fly honestly sound crazy lol. They fight so hard pound for pound.
Fly fishing u I s a blast.  I got hook after going for stripers in maine.  I didn’t catch anything but it was super fun just casting.  I bought a $20 5wt set up off eBay and just tooled around local ponds, then bought a nicer 5wt rod and nice line, then wanted something bigger for largemouth and got an 8 ft 8wt TFO rod.  It’s so much fun.

You can go crazy spending money, but it probably won’t help you catch fish.  Just get something and get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 04:50:02 AM »
Start out with minimal equipment... don't go crazy! My go to axes now are all Sage rods of various weights and lengths. I started out with St. Croix... a GREAT rod and I caught a lot of fish on it. Most of my fishing is in salt water, so heavier equipment is a must.

As far as waders go, get some fairly priced stocking foot, and get yourself a pair of good wading boots. I have the Chota brand, equipped with felt soles and screw in studs.

Oh, and learn how to tie flies/streamers... It's fun, relaxing, and when you nail that first fish on one of your ties... Heaven!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.