Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Local (Glenview, IL?) "manufacturer" of Cross-hatch waffle looking SS grates  (Read 1490 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I have no idea who this is.  My original thought was someone from here, except then I'd assume they would post about it.
Thought it was interesting, but pricey.  But, figured some of you guys might be interested.  Me, I like getting the extra iron from regular grates.
Curious if anyone here has tried them out.
22" Grate - $125
17" Grate - $110  (from what I gather, he is suggesting using this one as a charcoal grate based on some of the pics)
Just a craigslist ad with no identifying info, no phone, just craigslist email back.
If nobody has tried them, I might wind up seeing if I could meet him to take a lookie-lou in person, just to report back.

See https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/for/d/northbrook-stainless-steel-grill-grates/7061520065.html

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:27:18 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Sprinkler76

• Smokey Joe
Interesting. He says we are a manufacturer. But doesn’t say who “we” are. If you meet him do it in broad daylight in a crowded area.  LOL. It’s kinda cool looking but kinda weird looking too. Definitely let us know if you go through with the lookie-lou.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Looks like this is their website.  https://megagrate.com/  Just an email for contact. 
Looked up the whois info to see who owned the name & they pay extra to use Godaddy's info instead of their own.
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Honestly, the price seems about right when you consider the additional material and welding that is necessary.  If they sold it much cheaper they might not make any money.  Depending on what you like to cook on the grill and to what quantity the top grate could be handy.  The charcoal grate might be the better item for those who like to use their nicer kettles as smokers with hardwood charcoal.  I like stainless steel whenever I can get it as it is less likely to promote rust.

The price points still make it a difficult to spring for.  If a few people here torture tested it and really showed how great it was for this or that kind of cook I would give it a shot.  I wish the best for them in the mean time.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I agree.  I meant pricey as in expensive, not that it was overpriced for what it is. 

I recognize that you are basically getting like 2 SS grates for the price.  In addition to having the cross-hatching, you get four handles, so the only things that you don't get twice as many of is the initial ring of SS the bars are attached to & hinges.

For me, the extra handles to open the flaps of the grate don't offer much additional value as I use an old pair of really long tongs to both open the flaps & to either place charcoal or to move it after I've thrown some in & it didn't quite go where intended.  However, take a look at the hinges, they are not the bars bent into a loop.  Those should open a bit more smoothly each & every time compared to the normal looped ones.  I'm guessing that might operate a bit more smoothly, which is kind of nice.

It looks well built & I like the waffle look of the grate.  Very impressive looking & thought some might be interested even if I'm not that interested in it.  Plus, I always find it interesting to hear reviews from people who have used certain accessories. 
regards,
Hal

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Looks interesting - appears to be built solely for the purpose of grilling a large amount of smaller items - not to achieve waffle grill marks.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Yeah.  For waffle grill looking marks, you'd pretty much have to do something cast because trying to weld a grate like that would just be insane.

I just called it a waffle grate because it kind of looks like a waffle. 

While I think it certainly looks cool, it seems like it would make more sense (for me anyway) to buy a less expensive SS grate & one of those SS "pans" that they sell with round holes for grilling vegetables might be a lot cheaper, especially since I already own one of those pans.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:59:03 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
I would HATE to clean that.......

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Yeah.  For waffle grill looking marks, you'd pretty much have to do something cast because trying to weld a grate like that would just be insane.

While I think it certainly looks cool, it seems like it would make more sense (for me anyway) to buy a less expensive SS grate & one of those SS "pans" that they sell with round holes for grilling vegetables might be a lot cheaper, especially since I already own one of those pans.

I couldn't agree more. I was only remarking on the waffle marks because typically, that's what these grates do. But to your point, it would be insane to try and weld a grate like that (challenge, anyone?).
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
It could also be woven if it wasn't cast. However the steel would likely need to be thinner.  When you have that many steel bars/wires you really don't need them to be that thick to be solid though.  Welding would be a nightmare to get the grid marks perfect. 

I couldn't agree more. I was only remarking on the waffle marks because typically, that's what these grates do. But to your point, it would be insane to try and weld a grate like that (challenge, anyone?).

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger

Definitely, I'd probably get a finger stuck.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ

My thoughts exactly. Gotta be a biotch to clean. Not sure I see the usefulness of it, butt it sure is pretty...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Makes perfect sense as a charcoal grate - I often double up with using lump anyway.

Marty
Retired

PhredS

• Smokey Joe
Re: Local (Glenview, IL?) "manufacturer" of Cross-hatch waffle looking SS grates
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 08:04:25 AM »
The 22-inch grate is on sale for $119 plus shipping.  Shipping to me is like $25. Craycort is $102 shipped to me, and has good reviews.  I may pull the trigger on a Craycort for the black SSP (needs a new grate).
1977 MBH, 1980 Orig Kettle, 1998 SSP, 2003 SSP, 2004 Orig Kettle, 2008 Q220, 2009 Smokey Joe, 2012 Performer Green Crate&Barrel, UDS