Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First post - new 26 kettle on the way  (Read 2156 times)

djb

• Smokey Joe
Re: First post - new 26 kettle on the way
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
The 26 grate from Weber is stainless.  It will last a long time.   The standard 22 grates are plated steel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of that thank you.  That explains why I have had to change out the grate on the 22 fairly regularly.  I was hoping to NOT have to spend $100/year on a new grate for this 26.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »

I wasn't aware of that thank you.  That explains why I have had to change out the grate on the 22 fairly regularly.  I was hoping to NOT have to spend $100/year on a new grate for this 26.

There are two options to purchase a 22" stainless steel cooking grate. You can buy a stainless steel grate for your 22" direct from Weber. The Weber part number is #80728 and they were $75 about two years ago. You have to call Weber as you won't find them on their website.

The other option is to buy one of Killa Grilla's stainless steel grates (model #KG6925). They are beasts and cost $79 plus shipping.

https://squareup.com/store/killagrilla

I have both types and it depends if you like the look of the Killa Grilla or the lightness of the Weber one.   I have had mine going on four years now and no signs of rust anywhere. Here's a review  with photos of both grates.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27590.0

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:29:38 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
Cool.  Not only do i like the looks of the Killa Grilla but you cooked that steak perfect for my tastes.  Thanks

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
Hello from another Midwesterner, from the NW side of Chicago near O'hare airport.  I've got two vintage 26", one black and the other brown.  I've got a bunch of other kettles too.  I love cooking on the kettles, but I pull out the smoker every once in a while.
regards,
Hal

SixZeroFour

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »
The 26r is such a nice size - you'll love the extra grill space vs the 22 with minimal difference in the actual footprint on your deck. Enjoy!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 05:19:35 AM »
I just got tracking info from Weber.  It should arrive this week, and I hope it arrives in time for me to put it together before I have to return to work.

Still trying to decide what to do with the 22.  i guess I'll just need to have a couple cooks on the new 26 before deciding whether to 'clutter' up my deck or maybe sell/store it.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:45 AM »

Still trying to decide what to do with the 22.  i guess I'll just need to have a couple cooks on the new 26 before deciding whether to 'clutter' up my deck or maybe sell/store it.

Congrats on the 26! You’re going to love it! It’s my main grill that gets action daily in the summertime.

Yeah if you only have the space for 1, then the 22 has to go. I actually have to put my 26 back in the garage sometimes so my 22 will get some love.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:57 AM »
I love my 26er's my go to mostly, I have been using my 22's recently just because they are there
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
Well, figure I would post a follow up.  Grill came last Tuesday, and I'm glad I ordered direct from Weber.  I pulled the lid out of the box and there was chips in the ceramic.  The box didn't look damaged.  I removed the bowl and the was a big dent, no ceramic in 3 places.  Called Weber and after 30 mins the girl agreed to send a new grill and a shipping label for the Fed Ex guy to do the return when dropping off the replacement.  Initially, they wanted me to load it up and drive it to a fed Ex store which would have been a huge hassle.   I had a load of chicken wings to cook for my son and his friend but ended making meat loaf.  Disappointing but stuff happens.

The CS agent said they would inspect the replacement to ensure it was good.  It came yesterday and the bowl and lid look great but it has a badly bent leg.  I may get to fire it up next week.

I have to say the 26 is massive and I think I will like it.   The 22 may still get a lot of use and the 26 will probably do more low and slow.  We will see.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 04:08:50 AM »
I went for two(2) 22"; Weber Mastertouch and Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD).  Really enjoying using the Propane Ignitor and big metal table of the WPD!