Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First brisket  (Read 1318 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
First brisket
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »
So I felt frisky and decided tomorrow is the day. 49ers play the Vikings at 1:35 half time will be about 3:00 so I'm shooting for done time around then.

Nothing fancy just went to Walmart and got a 14lber for 50 bucks. Gonna snake it on the Kraft.

Will update pictures as I progress in the prep and cook

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: First brisket
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:50:53 PM »
Ok so..... this IS my first brisket rodeo.
Iv watched a metric shit ton of brisket videos. Mind you youtubers dont shop at walmart (its literally around the corner from me)

So one thing I have learned from harry soo is that brisket is how you wanna do it. And food in general.

So what I have learned, dont get walmart brisket , hard fat galore. And when I say hard fat I mean I can't even pinch it hard.

I did a heavy trim mostly due to personal preference when it comes to fat in general have never been a fan ( consistency thing) and neither has my family just how I grew up. So I damn near separated the point and the flat hunting down the ridiculously hard fat.

Remember it's my first time lol

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:28:37 AM »
you got this, have fun, once you are done with it you won't know it came from wally world. render down the fat and fry some french fries or something in it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:08:27 AM »

you got this, have fun, once you are done with it you won't know it came from wally world. render down the fat and fry some french fries or something in it

Dang that’s a good idea!

Even the prime brisket I get has hard fat like your talking about. Any large deposits on the inside can also be discarding after cooking while your slicing it.

I trim my fat cap down to a 1/4 or 1/8” and cook fat cap down on a kettle. The reason I do this is the kettle makes much better bark on the top side and I want most of my bark and flavor on the meat side.

I’m by no means an expert. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 06:12:56 AM »
Are you cooking it today?  I would gladly trade you weather based off the radar.
We are stuck in the middle of a non stop 2-3 day hard rain.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 06:14:32 AM »
And I’m in the roofing business which means non stop phone calls all weekend.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
I'm at work, which sucks, but you should see the jets fighting the 30 mile an hour crosswinds pretty exciting unless your the pilot
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
Haha thanks guys yea I'm about to throw it on right now, shooting for a hot and fast approach. Set up the snake 2x2x1 to keep a good 400 degrees. Shooting for a half time done time. We will see lol

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 08:26:01 AM »
Just thought I might have to switch my charcoal setup if the temps dont sit right. Had it lit for like 30 mins and the grill temp was only 250.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »
With all vents open, your temp will climb to 350+ in the next 30 minutes.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
I switched it up to a duel basket setup I saw on t-Roy cooks. And set the baskets up like a sns in holding at 375 solid [emoji108]
With all vents open, your temp will climb to 350+ in the next 30 minutes.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Update, went to the store for 10 mins and my wife texts me that the alarm was going off. I had the alarm set for 175 and when I left it was at 99. Oh boy. Got home grill temp had shot up to 500. Whoops. Lol

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »
I’ve found that the snake method is pretty reliable for these types of cooks. I used to use my SnS but ended up fighting climbing temps as the fuel burnt towards the middle of the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
Exactly what happened. I have the large 1st gen ssp/otp baskets. I removed 1 basket and cut the vents down. I'm back steady at 350. Im going for hot n fast not fast and inferno lol
I’ve found that the snake method is pretty reliable for these types of cooks. I used to use my SnS but ended up fighting climbing temps as the fuel burnt towards the middle of the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
Pulling time. Bark never set since the grill ran away for a bit but that's fine. Nice and probe tender in the point, a little less in the flat but the rest time should take care of that.