Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Napoli Style Pizzas on the Weber 6520  (Read 14229 times)

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
Napoli Style Pizzas on the Weber 6520
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »

Did this cook a couple weeks ago with a buddy of mine that actually runs a pizza food truck and a propane style pizza oven. We used a beat up 75 Statesman bottom, the vortex, Weber charcoal and the Weber 6520 Pizza Attachment. He was amazed at the results and the flavor. We had to have the stone at a consistent temp of 650-700 degrees...we ended up using 3 chimneys of fuel for 4 pizzas but it was 8 degrees F outside and we took time between cooks. For $200 compared to his pizza kitchen of $2000 ...the attachment went above and beyond expectations. Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

rc

• WKC Brave
Re: Napoli Style Pizzas on the Weber 6520
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
Those look delicious! I make pizza’s on my 22.5 and add a little smoke to them for added flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:45:15 AM »
Nicely done. Would be awesome to have one of those pizza kits.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »
Those look delicious! I make pizza’s on my 22.5 and add a little smoke to them for added flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks! Yes love the smoke flavor you get!

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Nicely done. Would be awesome to have one of those pizza kits.

Thanks bro! You are welcome to borrow mine any time!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 04:41:44 AM »
grate looking pies, wouldn't mind one of those as well
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

BigEll

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Fab. I’ve got the 6520 used a couple of times but not with much success! I put the charcoal at the back as suggested? I don’t have a vortex!  Could that have been the problem? Also any tip on how to clean the stone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:05:58 AM »
Fab. I’ve got the 6520 used a couple of times but not with much success! I put the charcoal at the back as suggested? I don’t have a vortex!  Could that have been the problem? Also any tip on how to clean the stone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't have one of these (I use a kettle pizza), but the concept is similar with all pizza cooks.  If I am doing say 3 to 6 pizzas I generally light one heaping chimney of charcoal to start.  If I am going for 10 or more pizzas I will also do about a half chimney of unlit charcoal and leave it in a couple baskets in the back of the grill.  The idea is to have the coal in the back in a kind of "C" shape when lit.  With just chimney of charcoal I might use one basket, with more I use two.  With the pizza stone you want it toward the front of the opening so there is a open gap in the back and maybe sides.

Now the part that you might be struggling with us getting the kettle up to temp.  This is where wood chunks come in.  Throwing them on top of the lit coals will get it burning well over 600 degrees. The more wood you use hotter it will burn.  I have had  my baskets glowing when heat and quick cook time was necessary.  I also keep ALL vents WIDE OPEN.

To make loading the wood chunks easier you might take an old flip up grate, take the handles off, and remove one of the flip ups and put the open side in the back. This way you can throw fire chunks in the back between pizzas.  The wood burning not only gets you more heat but hits the top of the lid/6520 and reflects heat down on the pizza top cooking the top.  If you have trouble with the pizza sticking to the stone you can also use parchment paper for the unloading.  After a minute or two on the stone you can pull it off.  The excess paper  on the outside could burn off using parchment paper if it is hot but I don't think it hurts anything.

Just be mindful of the high heat as it is definitely hard on the kettles finish with the coals banked to the side of the kettle.  I use a black kettle that is easily replaced, others will use  whatever is in their scrap heap of black kettles.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 05:32:10 AM »

Yes, more fuel or invest in a vortex. Need to get temps up to 600-700 degrees on the stone for Napoli style pizzas. Cleaning the stone I just use a metal scraper to scrape any melted cheese etc...then you can run under hot water and use a scouring pad. It’s normal for the stone to get discoloration so don’t worry about that.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Napoli Style Pizzas on the Weber 6520
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:07:50 AM »
The pizza looks great!

I guess my experience is different than most using the kettle pizza and the pizzaq.

2 chimneys in a semi circle using any charcoal has been more than hot enough without using wood or vortex. It easily pegs the built in thermometer on both. Its actually too hot. It usually peaks out between 700-900 according to the built in bimetal thermos on the pizza attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:09:43 AM by HoosierKettle »

BigEll

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »
Thanks GrillGiant. Much appreciated for the advice. Ell