Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A QUESTION FOR FANS OF THE WEBER CHARCOAL GO-ANYWHERE IN REGARDS TO THE GRATE MO  (Read 2614 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I have a question for those of you that have modified the cooking grate to cut it in half so you can remove a portion of it to add coals without removing the food. Also they cut it so it can be packed flat in the bottom of the grill so they can transport a mini- chimney and other cooking tools.  Where do you cut it?[/font][/size]
In videos I’ve watched, most people cut it right down the center.   I was thinking about cutting it 1/3- 2/3 and using the 2/3 section for the cooking area and 1/3 area for the section over where I’d add the coals.
I purchased this stainless replacement grate to do the mod with.  It gets reviewed as being a nice heavy true stainless grate (as opposed to a chrome plated steel one) but many customers said it was a touch too long to fit.  My guess is that’s why it’s such a cheap price, but seeing as I plan to cut mine to modify it anyway that’s not an issue.[/color][/font]
STAINLESS STEEL GO ANYWHERE REPLACEMENT COOKING GRATE[/color][/font][size=1.5rem][/size]

[/size]
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
I love the idea of the 2/3 to 1/3 split works grate in my vehicles... I cut mine in the center when I did my original mod, today when I am putzing around I'll cut another grate I have in that configuration too, thanks. My next cga mods will be to my riser I want to add a wsm temp probe grommet and to add a second  cooking grate

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I always thought they cut in half so they can rotate and store grates in the bottom. The 2/3 section would not fit if you try and store in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
There would be an opportunity for a manufacturer to make a hinged grate for the Go-Anwhere.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I always thought they cut in half so they can rotate and store grates in the bottom. The 2/3 section would not fit if you try and store in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ahhh, that must be it.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Cut it into 3 pieces, then they will all fit and you can do what you want with the 2/3 grate

Plus by the time you make those cuts the total length will be a better fit if its too long whole
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:32:30 AM by Walchit »

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
Cool idea thanks for sharing...we showed instead our version of WGA modded in WSA R with all We need inside. I'm happy if you like it: https://youtu.be/1-tiHLduIA0
BBQ are never enough

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
The grate came in .  It weighs 1.9 lbs on the digital scale compared to the stock grate is 1.4 lbs.  It's stainless, the tines are thicker and it's pretty inexpensive.  It also fits perfectly.

Link to purchase- https://amzn.to/37iQcbu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_A-eQE5sQ

Stock grate above the tape measure, stainless grate below the tape measure.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
I cut mine right down the middle. But then I went craycort. Heavy as shit but I wouldn't go back

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ

I cut mine right down the middle. But then I went craycort. Heavy as shit but I wouldn't go back

I like the ease in lifting these kinds of grates with a simple pair of tongs

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Lol yea that does make it easier. I got craycort lifter tool but it doesn't fit the hole on the gas grate to I have to spin it and use the handle side

I like the ease in lifting these kinds of grates with a simple pair of tongs

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
My used CGA didn't come with a grate, so I bought one of the cheap stainless ones from Amazon. It was too long out of the box. I cut mine just off center, using bolt cutters. I removed the extra bit between the tines that got separated, and now it works perfectly.