Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rehabbing Craigslist Weber Genesis E310 - Advice Needed  (Read 3225 times)

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
Rehabbing Craigslist Weber Genesis E310 - Advice Needed
« on: December 14, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Hello everyone,
Big Weber fan and own a few Weber grills and just picked up another one off Craigslist. I paid $100 and feel I got an ok deal especially since he gave me 2 propane tanks.
The guy bought it from Home Depot years ago, and might have been a color exclusive to them. It's a smoke gray looking color. I think it is an E-310 since it came with the porcelain enamel interiors. Does that sound like the right model #? Any idea the year? Is there a way to find the serial number? He didn't have any of the original paperwork.

Looks like the grill lived outside most of it's life :( The bottom part of the storage area looks like it got rusted pretty badly and the previous owner went crazy with the black paint to cover the rusting.
He also mentioned that the inside of the hood and firebox started to flake, so he used black paint on that too. No idea if it was just basic spray paint or bbq/high temp paint. It doesn't look great, but think I can put some elbow grease into it and make it a good grill to put in the rotation.
Do you guys have any advice on removing the old paint and putting a fresh coat on? Disassemble and sand the crap out of it? Blast it with pressure washer? I already started using some Goo-Gone to get rid of the over-spray off the back of the doors and some of the frame.

Mechanically, the flavor bars were falling to pieces, so I went ahead and removed those. I ordered a SS set from that guy off Ebay that makes the good quality ones.

The crossover bar on the burner has a massive rusty hole in it, so I have to manually light the 3 different burner tubes with the lighter. All 3 burners do work though. Any suggestions on ordering replacement burner tube set?

The seller said he just put the new replacement grates on, but after getting it home I noticed the grates don't fit all the way across side to side, so eventually I'll order new ones of those. Do you guys think I should get the SS grates? Weber brand?

The igniter is totally shot and in pieces, so I'll be ordering one of those too, not sure there are any options for that besides Weber.

I attached some pictures, hopefully you can see them. I plan on posting progress pictures as I get it cleaned up.

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
Re: Rehabbing Craigslist Weber Genesis E310 - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »
Some more photos

KylePhan

• Happy Cooker
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:55:43 PM »
Hello everyone,
Big Weber fan and own a few Weber grills and just picked up another one off Craigslist. I paid $100 and feel I got an ok deal especially since he gave me 2 propane tanks.
The guy bought it from Home Depot years ago, and might have been a color exclusive to them. It's a smoke gray looking color. I think it is an E-310 since it came with the porcelain enamel interiors. Does that sound like the right model #? Any idea the year? Is there a way to find the serial number? He didn't have any of the original paperwork.

Looks like the grill lived outside most of it's life :( The bottom part of the storage area looks like it got rusted pretty badly and the previous owner went crazy with the black paint to cover the rusting.
He also mentioned that the inside of the hood and firebox started to flake, so he used black paint on that too. No idea if it was just basic spray paint or bbq/high temp paint. It doesn't look great, but think I can put some elbow grease into it and make it a good grill to put in the rotation.
Do you guys have any advice on removing the old paint and putting a fresh coat on? Disassemble and sand the crap out of it? Blast it with pressure washer? I already started using some Goo-Gone to get rid of the over-spray off the back of the doors and some of the frame.

Mechanically, the flavor bars were falling to pieces, so I went ahead and removed those. I ordered a SS set from that guy off Ebay that makes the good quality ones.

The crossover bar on the burner has a massive rusty hole in it, so I have to manually light the 3 different burner tubes with the lighter. All 3 burners do work though. Any suggestions on ordering replacement burner tube set?

The seller said he just put the new replacement grates on, but after getting it home I noticed the grates don't fit all the way across side to side, so eventually I'll order new ones of those. Do you guys think I should get the SS grates? Weber brand?

The igniter is totally shot and in pieces, so I'll be ordering one of those too, not sure there are any options for that besides Weber.

I attached some pictures, hopefully you can see them. I plan on posting progress pictures as I get it cleaned up.
Thanks to share

KylePhan

• Happy Cooker
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:57:20 PM »
One of these days, I just might be lucky enough to fall into one of these on a deal!So what is it about the Weber Genesis E-310 Gas Grill that makes it so popular?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:22:27 PM by KylePhan »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 05:08:18 AM »
You can buy graffiti remover to get that paint out of your cookbox. The stuff he saw flaking off was just carbon buildup. That comes off with a razor blade really easy.
I dont know much about that style of gasser, but @Dave in KC is probably the most knowledgeable guy on the internet, and I just tagged him for you lol.

Looks like its "plum" color. I like it.

Evochuck

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
One hell of a deal, 1st step would be to remove all that paint, especially what's in the cookbox, high temp or not, it's toxic.
He put in some generic grates, you have both cast iron and ss options out there. Burners are ss , give em a good steel brushing. Flavor bars have easy as replacements as well. All in you are looking at a 500$ grill when in good order.

Here is one I redid recently.

Sent from my MI MIX 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »
Some more photos
I owned the DD model and it was a great grill. My lower compartment floor rusted also, to clean it up sand all the rust areas di removed the floor pan and also worked 3 side matting areas . Then but some POR15 or Eastmans chassis paint. It is a 2 part epoxy paint that encapsulates the rust and shuts off the air stopping the rust after 1 or 2 coats and it has dried you need to cover it with a top coat of silver to block UV light from getting to the panels .
I did this on my 07 grill in 2010 and still not rust. Great for any steel you want to stop rusting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app